DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Ice and water protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

TG. About this treated lumber your adding, dosn't make it hard for the gutter guy.
Inspector; If you use Grace and you follow those instructions, you need to talk to them, it just would not pass the pee test.
Pee test. Put down the way the picture shows and stand under the edge while your partner pees on the sheild.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 433 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Sorry O'l dog...but with Grace Ice and water sheild, they want the membrane down first. This is all I ever use, we call it "human fly paper".
Here is a link,
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/template.cfm?page=/underlayments/roofing_faqs.html&did=8#roofdrip
So, I called the Certainteed technical dept today and described the installation of Ice and Water, they said that in southern climates, the Ice and Water should go over the drip edge. This is where ice damming is not an issue. I live in the south and stand by my previous statement. I agree that in ice damming situations, the drip edge should go go the underlayment.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 AM  
tglombardi

Wow. That makes a lo of sense, the fact that it's different in the south. So it seems we are all doin it right based on region.

In terms of the 3/4 inch strips I add, it doesn't make it harder for the gutter guy since there is still plenty of room on the fascia board to hang the gutters. It just pushes out so the rain drips in nicer.

What is everyone's thoughts on starter strip along the rakes as well as eaves? I'm doing a roof in rhode island this week, 2 miles from the beach. I was thinking the tar line would create additional wind protection. I usually don't use a starter strip on the rake here in ct.
Thanks all! Great discussion.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 433 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

We run starter shingles on every job we do. Not a flipped around 3 tab, but a dedicated starter. You have less chance of blow off when you get the seal strip at the edge of the rake.

Quick Reply