DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Installing Vent Cap for Range Hood in Cold Weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 AM  
HalCrimm

Default Installing Vent Cap for Range Hood in Cold Weather

Hello,

New to the site but looking for help.
I just rearranged my kitchen and added a range hood that will vent out the roof. I am fairly handy so I think I am capable of doing this myself. I am looking for guidance on installing during cold weather. I really don't want it to leak, obviously, but snow is coming. Is there anything other than roofing caulk that I will need to apply between the cap and the shingles to secure them correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Hal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 349 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 119

If you look at the way the plumbing vents are cut into the shingles you will probably need to install the flashing for the vent of the range in a similar manner. Do not just set the flashing on top of the roof and caulk. The top of the flange, down to the bottom needs to be under the fshingles, but open directly under the vent at the bottom. Apply a small quarter sized spot of roofing caulk under the shingles at the bottom and anywhere that you fracture the seal strips of the shingles. You shouldn't see any roof cement when finished installing the vent. Roof caulk is not meant to be exposed to UV.

If you don't feel comfortable climbing on the roof, call someone for help. A piece of foam will make sitting on the slope a lot easier and safer. Don't climb up there without some on the ground to help if needed.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 98 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Default and

Just a reminder, if your roof vent is plastic, use rubber roof caulk , not roof tar. The plastic and the tar do not like each other.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM  
HalCrimm

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to do this weekend if it warms up at all.
Hal

Old 12-16-2010, 03:42 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Hal, if you don't have one I'd suggest buying a shingle pry bar. It will make taking the shingles apart a lot easier. If the shingles are in good shape you should be able to reuse them IF you are carefull when you remove the nails.

And one very important thing...BE CAREFULL! If you are not comfortable, call someone for help.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Also, go to GAF Materials Corp. - Roofing Shingles or CertainTeed and you will find how to properly install a vent in a shingle roof.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM  
Roofmaster417
RFN-4A-LVN

Likes Given: 1

Another good idea is to bring a bucket of patience.,take your time, try not to gauge at the shingles as this will tend to lead to damaging more shingles than you wish to repair.Another tip is perform your repair once the sun has been on the shingles making them more flexible.During the fall and winter months this will work great but early hours are required in the late spring till autumn due to high temps.

Quick Reply