DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Insulating the Attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Since we are talking blow-in, here is an Owens-Corning video which (while heavily branded) goes through the basic steps for you to do it yourself. Not sure about the costs compared to having a company do it for you. The keys are eave ventilation with the chutes, complete coverage and proper depth.

As Fireguy can explain -- any dumb monkey can hold a hose, right?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

Villa; What are you saying about firemen: That's a great clip.
Just a few points on prep work before you get going. some 1927 house still were balloon framing, so you are looking for cavities between the studs on the gable walls at the ceiling level. They need to be blocked with wood, plywood, drywall or what ever.
All holes drilled thru wall plates for wiring should be chaulked with fireproof chaulk. Pot lights should be the ones rated for insulation.
If not they need a box built over them about a 1 foot cube lined with drywall. Insulate the cube with batts. and then I would put down 6 mil poly for vapour bearier as you likely don't have one now. Tape the joints with red Tuck tape and stick down the edges with acoustical sealer. Yes it is a pain to wrap the joists and walk on later is a neat trick too. You can staple in place on the joists.
If you stop all air flow from below you get full value for the insulation.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

That is a great add-on post, Neal ... These are essential things to look for whether its an old house or a newish one. A lot of newbie DIYers would not think to check for pot light fireproofing. Appropriate boxes are readily available and MUST be used before the blown-in is shot.

And, yes, anybody can shoot insulation (even a fireman) but not everyone can hold his hose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM  
drewdin

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Thanks Guys, i Don't have any pot lights but i believe that they are balloon walls as when i was taking down the walls in the bathroom some of the attic insulation came out.

I can see the air shoots going down to the eaves, i'll make sure i put something there to prevent the soffit vents from being filled.

That can easily be checked from the attic, right now i only have 4" of insulation up there. its pretty much even with the studs. Would it be worth putting some wood down so I have something to walk on and then put insulation on top of that?

I wish my attic was as clean and nice as the one in the video!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

Having a catwalk is a good idea as when you are done you will not be able to see the joists.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts

Having lived in that area I had Mass Electric pay for adding insulation in mine. It was part of their energy conservation program. Even if you're with Boston Edison you should check if they have any rebate programs for adding insulation. You should also look into adding fire blocks into your balloon framed walls, which are a potential nightmare if you have any sort of fire in your house.

Quick Reply