DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > L flashing used on new roof ok?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,006
Liked 688 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Default

It should have been easy to install backing blocks from the attic above the patio.



__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM  
willingtolearn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Hey guys I'm assuming that where the original roof was it had blocks. Also it's a 2 story house so I don't believe its accessable from the attic. What do you think about putting the step over the L flashing. I know its not proper but even if its 50% better I would have more of a piece of mind.

Willing



__________________
willingtolearn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,006
Liked 688 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Default

Did he build the new roof? Some one should be able to take that flashing off and install blocking in an hour. I was talking about the space inside that roof but I guess the siding was left in place there.

__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 AM  
willingtolearn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Yes thats correct. He left the siding in place, and on the right side there is a hole from the original roof, he covered it with tyvek. Above the new roof he just chalked a 3" line and cut a hole following the new roof with a grinder with diamond blade.

Thanks
Willing

__________________
willingtolearn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:29 PM  
willingtolearn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!

Willing to learn.

__________________
willingtolearn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,462
Liked 327 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtolearn View Post
My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!
Willing to learn.
Packing my bag as you read this

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)
__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
inspectorD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 3,935
Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Packing my bag as you read this

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)
um...er...I just want to stay out of it. All this flashing with raincoats just gets people in trouble.
__________________

Just My
Made in the

inspectorD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,462
Liked 327 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
um...er...I just want to stay out of it. All this flashing with raincoats just gets people in trouble.
Yea, but I'm on my way to Hawaii and you're stuck knee deep in the frozen cranberry bog.
__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 AM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,006
Liked 688 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Default

It is hard to imagine why the blocking wasn't installed when the structure was built and when the siding was removed for the flashing the builder should have been called back to solve this problem. If the contractor was good he would have seen this coming and if the roofer was good he would have stopped until it was fixed.

I would like to suggest a fix and the roofers here can let me know where I am wrong.
I would cut that flashing at the roof line and remove the top half without damaging the roofing. Now that the open wall is exposed pieces of 2x4s or 2x3s can be cut to fit between the studs and toenailed in place.
With a sawsall I would go behind the siding and cut any nails holding the siding for a few inches. Install the step flashing under each shingle, the flashing may have to be cut to fit below the siding cut. Slip in another flashing behind the siding and house wrap and make sure it covers the top of the step flashing. Re-nail the bottom of the siding which will hold the flashing also.

__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM  
willingtolearn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

I will present ideas to my contractor when he shows up. He said the top half is the hard part. It's not hardie plank but 2 large sheets of hardie board and the brown trim piece. I will present these solutions to him when I see him face to face.
By the way I have a good picture of why step flashing is better, but I'm still a little fuzzy on why L flashing is bad. Is the concern where water will flow under the shingles from the L flashing and find a hole thru the felt paper such as nail holes etc.

willing



__________________
willingtolearn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
roof flashing raymike Introductions 1 09-09-2009 05:06 AM
Flashing windows? TaskBoy Windows and Doors 6 04-04-2009 11:36 PM
I need special flashing TaskBoy General Home Improvement Discussion 5 10-24-2008 05:11 PM
Flashing/drip edge on roof - questions & advice Westy Roofing and Siding 4 09-24-2007 07:37 PM
Step flashing for a leak free roof ! Square Eye Roofing and Siding 1 01-19-2006 08:26 AM