DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > L flashing used on new roof ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM  
nealtw

Liked 688 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

It should have been easy to install backing blocks from the attic above the patio.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM  
willingtolearn

Hey guys I'm assuming that where the original roof was it had blocks. Also it's a 2 story house so I don't believe its accessable from the attic. What do you think about putting the step over the L flashing. I know its not proper but even if its 50% better I would have more of a piece of mind.

Willing

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM  
nealtw

Did he build the new roof? Some one should be able to take that flashing off and install blocking in an hour. I was talking about the space inside that roof but I guess the siding was left in place there.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 AM  
willingtolearn

Yes thats correct. He left the siding in place, and on the right side there is a hole from the original roof, he covered it with tyvek. Above the new roof he just chalked a 3" line and cut a hole following the new roof with a grinder with diamond blade.

Thanks
Willing

Old 12-10-2011, 12:29 PM  
willingtolearn

My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!

Willing to learn.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 327 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtolearn View Post
My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!
Willing to learn.
Packing my bag as you read this

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)

Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Packing my bag as you read this

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)
um...er...I just want to stay out of it. All this flashing with raincoats just gets people in trouble.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 327 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
um...er...I just want to stay out of it. All this flashing with raincoats just gets people in trouble.
Yea, but I'm on my way to Hawaii and you're stuck knee deep in the frozen cranberry bog.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 AM  
nealtw

It is hard to imagine why the blocking wasn't installed when the structure was built and when the siding was removed for the flashing the builder should have been called back to solve this problem. If the contractor was good he would have seen this coming and if the roofer was good he would have stopped until it was fixed.

I would like to suggest a fix and the roofers here can let me know where I am wrong.
I would cut that flashing at the roof line and remove the top half without damaging the roofing. Now that the open wall is exposed pieces of 2x4s or 2x3s can be cut to fit between the studs and toenailed in place.
With a sawsall I would go behind the siding and cut any nails holding the siding for a few inches. Install the step flashing under each shingle, the flashing may have to be cut to fit below the siding cut. Slip in another flashing behind the siding and house wrap and make sure it covers the top of the step flashing. Re-nail the bottom of the siding which will hold the flashing also.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM  
willingtolearn

I will present ideas to my contractor when he shows up. He said the top half is the hard part. It's not hardie plank but 2 large sheets of hardie board and the brown trim piece. I will present these solutions to him when I see him face to face.
By the way I have a good picture of why step flashing is better, but I'm still a little fuzzy on why L flashing is bad. Is the concern where water will flow under the shingles from the L flashing and find a hole thru the felt paper such as nail holes etc.

willing

Quick Reply