DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Leaking translucent FBG roof panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM  
djurgensen

Default Leaking translucent FBG roof panels

I have a couple of 12' long 5 rib clear FBG panels on my 4/12 pitch metal shed roof that have been leaking every once in a while... mostly when the weather is warm.

I have tried to track down the leak(s) looking for wet spots from the underside and have paid particular attention to the screw holes on the ribs which I have rebedded again and again using a goopy tar like roof sealer.

I've had some success with that strategy but have concluded that the panels have tiny leaks in places other than around the screw heads. Perhaps the panels got stepped on during installation some 10 years ago. Hard to know.

Instead of completely replacing the panels, I want to give one last try to sealing them. Is there a clear sealer that I can paint on the entire FBG panels hoping to seal the unseen crack(s)?

Any suggestions?

thanks, guys.

dick jurgensen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those cheap panels will start to form cracks and fall apart just from the UV rays over time. You can try and seal till the cows come home but it's going to be a loosing battle. And what tool do you plan on using to try and coat this?
It's going to be far better to remove them and just replace with new metal roofing.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 AM  
djurgensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Those cheap panels will start to form cracks and fall apart just from the UV rays over time. You can try and seal till the cows come home but it's going to be a loosing battle. And what tool do you plan on using to try and coat this?
It's going to be far better to remove them and just replace with new metal roofing.
Thanks for the reply joe.

I've had good luck with panels that are 25 years old and no problems at all. These leaky ones are relatively new compared to others. I had guessed that they had been damaged upon installation when stepped on. Awfully easy to do.

I was hopefully planning on a spray can of sealer or maybe using a paint brush to brush on a thin coat of something that will seep into the hairline cracks.

There is a marine product that I've used to seal cracks in gelcoat. I assume that it is a very diluted epoxy sealer. I'll need a good bit of it to coat a 3x12 panel.

Capt. (Captain) Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure Hairline Crack Sealer - Links to Epoxy Sealers and Waterproof Products

At this point, I've got little to lose.

dick jurgensen

Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default ok

Another product that is applied is called hydrostop premium coat.
It is applied over just about anything, paints on and is about 8 bucks a square foot.
Hydro-Stop | We can waterproof almost anything 1800-739-5566

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM  
djurgensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Another product that is applied is called hydrostop premium coat.
It is applied over just about anything, paints on and is about 8 bucks a square foot.
Hydro-Stop | We can waterproof almost anything 1800-739-5566

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Interesting stuff, inspectorD... but it looks like I lose my translucence. If I were to go this route, I would simply replace the FBG panels with metal panels... and be done with it.

I sure do like the brightness in my workshop below.

Its the drip.... drip.... drip from a soaking rain that gets my attention. Not enough wetness to hurt anything so far but.... a nuisance!

What about thinning a shellac way, way, way down?

dick jurgensen

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default well

You could try a test area, see what happens. However I'm not sure how it will react with the panel.
Maybe call the manufacturer of the panels and see if they actually sell or recommend anything for this for this issue, can't hurt.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply