DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Roofing and Siding (
-   -   A little help with hardware, please? (

ironhat 05-12-2013 12:51 PM

A little help with hardware, please?
Hi folks, long time lurker and no time poster, here. We just brought our 20 year old, covered deck up into the no maintenance phase, now that our lives have switched to the constant maintenance phase.;) We had everything wrapped in vinyl or aluminum and composite deck boards. We put up some vinyl sun shades but they came with those cheesy pressed steel tie-offs for the strings (there's a nautical term for this tie-off - please tell me). These invariably rust so I'd rather install what I've seen as a replacement in stainless steel or chrome coated steel. Does anyone know where I can find these? I haven't even checked so, the big box stores might just have them.
Can it Sunday laziness but please help.

nealtw 05-12-2013 04:09 PM

I think the small ones are called cleats of rope ties.

ironhat 05-12-2013 04:34 PM

Yes, cleats is what I was thinking of! Now, to find them...

jmc0319 05-12-2013 05:14 PM

They are cleats and I just bought some galvanized ones for an outdoor project. I got mine at Home Depot down the rope aisle.

ironhat 05-12-2013 07:08 PM

Thanks, jm. Did you notice any stainless while you were there.

beachguy005 05-23-2013 02:15 PM

Go to any marine supply store for SS cleats such as West Marine.See...

ironhat 05-23-2013 07:54 PM

Thanks for the help, folks. Have a great summer!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.