DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Is this method suitable for repairing the roof?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 PM  
zhiling0229

Default Is this method suitable for repairing the roof?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in this forum. Recently the living room of my house have been leaking especially during heavy downpours. After checking the roof condition I realize the wall develop cracks which causes the water sip into the house.

So I decided to cover the roof with another roof as shown in the picture. To prevent the rain from dropping into the damage roof. Is this a good method to repair this damage. Need some pointers. Thank you

A sketch of the damage area and the propose design is shown in the picture.

roof.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Forum Zhiling:
Yes, it looks like the method you have proposed will work. I don't know how much space you are spanning though or how thick your plastic sheet is. If you are using Plexiglass 1/8" thick you should not try to span more than 16" or 1/4" not more than 24". I percieve this to be a skylight or something similar to that; if it is a large area (over 24") you should use flashing at the wall and extending out onto the roof. A metal flashing (copper, galvanized metal, or aluminum) should cover the crack at the wall and eliminate your problem. Let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply