DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Is my ridge vent actually venting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

PLEASE! Do NOT mix and match ridge vent with any other exhaust ventilation. Have someone take off the roll vent and put a functional, rigid shingle over ridge vent on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM  
Roofmaster417
RFN-4A-LVN

Likes Given: 1

IMO that CoraVent is a junk product.Alot of times when the roll is used it is installed with a nail gun.Sometimes you have an installer that either is inexperienced or just don't care about setting the air pressure to insure a even and proper fastener seating.

If the vent itself is applied with improper fastener seating or over nailing the product by the time you add the ridge cap the product is smashed closed.

I really appreciate the solid 4' sections of RidgeVent.CoraVent has the 4' sections too but if the fasteners are over driven then the vent would fail.So in reality it isn't product failure as much as it is installation error.

I install only hand driven RidgeVent.It is more time consuming but at least I know my installers are not overdriving.

BTW those are some short fasteners for the ridge cap.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 12-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM  
kjjb0204

Well, hopefully once I open up all the soffit vents there will be some airflow. You know what's funny? The original builder of the house (and the other 4 homes on the street) lives two doors down and his house is the only one that doesn't get ice dams. All built in 2002. I should walk over there and see if he would send a guy up on the roof to check the vent installation. The house between us gets wicked bad ice dams - basically the same house as mine but with a gable roof instead of hip. That house has a double-hung window on each end of the house in the attic and they are wide open all winter and still gets ice dams. This cobra vent must not be installed right on any of our houses on the street. Nice.

Quick Reply