DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Near flat roof leaking should I shingle over?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM  
Rustedbird

Always loved the sound of rain on a tin roof. Most restful sound in the universe.

Interesting change in pitch near the top. Could be a real challenge. Especially in metal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM  
MTCquality

BUMP!

Jumpin the thread up to see if you used metal and if so could you post some pics...... The transition at the peak should look really good in metal...(IF it is done right.)

Thanks

MTC

Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM  
Donny

Not yet I am waiting on a few estimates. I did get one from a roofer today about a rubber roof $3500 to do the front half. He did say metal would be a good option. I'll be sure to post pics whenever I do the roof. At that price I can't afford to hire a pro.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

There are many benefits to metal roofing:
energy savings
$500 tax credit
estimated 75% recoup at resale
homeowners insurance discounts
oh, and that nice pitter patter

more info here:
http://www.metalroofing.com/v2/content/news/energy-tax-incentive.cfm

Old 05-19-2007, 02:25 PM  
Mephistopheles

yeah, shingles for 3.5/12 or less is just trouble, won't matter if your quadruple the felt with #30. Besides shingles flying around. I see it EVERYDAY on inspections.

Tear off the old, replace any damaged sheathing, rafters, fascia or joists and apply torchdown or hotmop with light colored gravel. You can get different size gravel applied to give the roof some decorative texture. With a low pitch like you have, most all extruded concrete/metal roofing shingles aren't rated for.

Its common for shingles to flap around in a heavy storm and then lay back flat, in the mean time there will be damage to them at the nails that effect the water integrity of the roofing but appears "ok" and you get a variety of leaks from then on.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM  
hestntonpms

You need a flat torch down roof

Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM  
hestntonpms

Your main enemy is the wind not so much drainage,the drainage is sort of like the icing on the cake not only is the wind driven rain blowing under but all the water on the slow flowing roof just gets blown backward,then once its found a way through it is like a siphon . . . . .Shingles are a wasteof time and money,you could have 10 layers and it will still leak,then you'll pay someone to have to remove all the layers,then install a flat torchdown. NEVER instally anything over another shingle!! Why not? It is simple. Condensation and delamination,the more layers the more overall water . . . Strip it to the wood,repair any bad stuff,install your drip edge ,install your flat deck protection ,flashings and what have you then torch it down,I like to run the end up a wall @ least 8" with some type of. Flashing covering over the end or roll the ends over to close the deck . . . . Good luck buddy

Quick Reply