DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Need help before roof inspection

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM  
Frank0

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
How many sq. ft. or sq. is the bid for?
U may want to get everything in writing as to what he is going to do.
New drip edge, rake edge, stack boots, water shield, poundage of felt, size of overlaps, rating of shingle, warranty of labor, ridge vent, etc....
The house is a little over 2,000 feet, I didn't ask for the roof dimensions. The last roofer, who did some shingle repair, gave me an estimate of $3k just to reshingle.

New guy is going to email me the full estimate. Thanks for the comments about getting it in writiing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 378 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Be sure to have his ins company send you a copy of his workers compensation certificate before work begins, not a hand delivered copy. Make sure you have a written proposal detailing all the materials they will use, new flashings, ventilation, starters, capping, drip edge, warranty and the price per foot of any decking that may require replacement. Ask how they install the shingles, vertical rack or staircase, anything other than a staircase pattern is not acceptable, period.

Now this is important, DO NOT PAY IN FULL UNTIL YOU HAVE INSPECTED THE ROOF AND EVERYTHING IS CLEANED UP.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also make sure the waste disposal and clean up is included in the price.
In the past I saw a roofing company that just left the shingles on the ground and wanted an extra $500.00 to clean them up and had never mentioned the extra cost until the job was done.

Any real roofing company will take the extra time to lay tarps over any decks, stoops, shrubs, and lay them on the ground where the shingles are being dropped to aid in the clean up process.
Once all the big stuff is cleaned up they should be going around with a magnet trying to get all the stray nails.
They should also clean out all the gutters if there are any, and clean up any black marks on the siding and gutters if there is any.

No matter how good they clean up there will still be a few stray nails. I often leave behind a rolling magnet for the home owner for a few days.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM  
Frank0

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Also make sure the waste disposal and clean up is included in the price.
In the past I saw a roofing company that just left the shingles on the ground and wanted an extra $500.00 to clean them up and had never mentioned the extra cost until the job was done.

Any real roofing company will take the extra time to lay tarps over any decks, stoops, shrubs, and lay them on the ground where the shingles are being dropped to aid in the clean up process.
Once all the big stuff is cleaned up they should be going around with a magnet trying to get all the stray nails.
They should also clean out all the gutters if there are any, and clean up any black marks on the siding and gutters if there is any.

No matter how good they clean up there will still be a few stray nails. I often leave behind a rolling magnet for the home owner for a few days.
Thanks Joe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply