DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Need help to locate leak in roof (pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 434 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Oldog; Hold a square up to the second photo and see the slope of the dormer, the rain deverter at the joining point is level. That's my story anyway. This roof is not looking good. I will bet someone put 2" foam under this roof without doing anything about flashing.
Neal, I understand that the dormer roof appears to slope back toward the shingle roof. This may or may not be true and it really doesn't matter at this point. What I was trying to get across and I guess it was misunderstood, is that the patch over the old membrane on the outside edge will stop water run-off. The installation specs on multi-ply roof systems always shows membranes lapped over not under like they show in the pic. On single ply roof systems, the drip edge is installed over the membrane and then a cover strip is applied over the drip edge and single ply sheet, this is not the same application process as modified bitumen type roof systems.

Holding a square to the pic will give you a distorted view because the pic was taken higher on the roof than the edge of the drip edge on the dormer roof and pics them selves can make elevations look entirely different because your seeing 2-D not 3-D.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Oldog: I agree with what you are saying about what is wrong with the roof. When taking measurements and angles off a photo you simply use the things that you can prove and go from there. I can see three ways to prove plumb.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM  
Kadath

Thanks guys for all the replies, it's appreciated. Sorry for not responding sooner, I guess I didn't see the notifications in my inbox.

It seems that I have quite a mess to fix. Someone suggested saving for a new roof, is it really necessary? Wouldn't it be possible to fix only the dormer? I believe that the roof was redone in 2003.

Just to clarify, the top of the dormer is not flat and is sloping back towards the roof. I guess I should have taken a better picture.

It rained again hard last night (and the two previous days also) but it didn't leak. The difference is that the winds were much lower. I'm gonna chance it and just reapply pitch around the sides of the dormer for now. I know that it's not a permanent solution and I will look into having it properly redone next summer. My brother is a carpenter and has done some roofing jobs in the past so I'm hoping that he can help. He's just super busy building his own house right now (and a few hours away), so that's why I'm looking for a temporary fix.

Anyway, this house is full or (bad) surprises. I'm currently fixing a water leak in the foundations and that's when this 2nd leak on the roof appeared. That on top of the carpenter ants this spring, the backyard lawn that doesn't drain properly and the main water entry valve that was leaking. And yes I did have the house inspected before buying. Sigh...

Thanks again guys.

-Patrick

Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

When you do the roof the trick will be to ad flashing around the dormers, I would suggest covering the dormers with another siding like vinyl.

Quick Reply