DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Please Help Diagnose Leaking Mobile Home (New) Includes Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM  
Vik61

More photos of my Solitaire home roof:

Here is a shot of just about all of the vents running across the 78 ft of roof.

It looks like the shingles are nicely tucked under the vent, and they are. I had to pull this one out, and I pulled it out easily.

BUT look what is happening. I don't know if they use glue or what but the vent itself appears to be becoming unglued from the roof of the house. It's blurry, I know, but I'm just touching it here, not lifting. There is about an inch of space between what should be on the roof and the roof itself.

I'm allowed four pics per post. This is a shot of another potential problem I see with what I am learning may be rain lines? Is this another problem area?
This is the crown of my roof.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 02:47 PM  
Vik61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye
Water leaks follow 3 S's.. seep, soak and saturate. Then there are open flow situations. You probably have all of these going on. The small leaks can actually draw water uphill by seeping in through the small holes, the wood soaks up the water and it spreads, saturating everything it finds. When the wood is saturated and can't hold any more, it will cut loose and start dripping on whatever is below, all the while, mold and mildew is taking the place.

You pull up some of that roof and find mold, you have a lawsuit. That roof is evidence of gross negligence on the part of the manufacturer and the inspectors. Seriously, speak to a lawyer, this is your home and it CAN become an unhealthy situation, especially when you put a tarp on over water damage.
I already have mold in my second bathroom in the same area. Not in any area that has plumbing but at the crease where the wall meets the ceiling over the toilet so it's not related to plumbing. I sprayed about a six inch by four inch patch of black mold with a solution of clorox and water and it was so soggy there that the sprayed-on ceiling (you know those speckled-spackling stuff they put on ceilings) came right off and I could see a problem). That's last week when I took a pair of binoculars and thought I spotted a place where the shingles didn't finish all the way to the end on my roof. Ah, I put off borrowing my neighbor's ladder until yesterday when the water came in like a faucet. I think the water must have been building up all this time, somewhere inside my roof in with all the 30-rated insulation they claim on their website.

So, if I had mold where I could see it lord knows where else I have it where I can't see it. I've been wondering why I haven't been able to breathe through my nose all summer without nasal spray....

Last edited by Vik61; 09-01-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:11 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If the rest of the roof looks considerably better and isn't leaking, then yes, that is good. You may be able to just patch/repair the one area.
The pictures look like exactly what you said, they just lost their place somewhere and messed up royally.
The rain lines should really be exactly centered, but as long as they have 4" or so one way or the other, you'll probably be OK, it will just look bad.

Use whatever you can from me or whoever. Just please don't quote me as having looked at it personally. They can see the same pics I have seen. It would still be wise to have a pro to look at it and write up an estimate.
They could easily see problems that I can't see from here.

Good luck with it, I hope you get all of this resolved soon! Winter's coming!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There should be a vapor barrier between the ceiling and the insulation.
If the insulation is saturated, mold can get in it. I have taken a knife and poked through the ceiling in a house before and had water to run down my arm. If this is the case, you may have MUCH more damage than you can see.

Have you talked to your insurance company yet?
I don't know if they can help you or not, but they may see a claim there.
just a thought

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 09-01-2006, 08:54 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Vik:
Just a few extra words to solidify a court case, if it goes that far. I would contact the local chapter of The Home Builder's Association; they certify builders and remodelers in their specialties. They even have a Master Builder certificate and a Master Remodeler Certificate. Short of taking an architect to court with me for an expert witness, I think the Home Builder's Association would be the most effective.
Glenn

Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 PM  
Vik61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye
There should be a vapor barrier between the ceiling and the insulation.
If the insulation is saturated, mold can get in it. I have taken a knife and poked through the ceiling in a house before and had water to run down my arm. If this is the case, you may have MUCH more damage than you can see.

Have you talked to your insurance company yet?
I don't know if they can help you or not, but they may see a claim there.
just a thought
I can't thank you enough. I feel like I really learned something today so that when I was talking to a friend I could at least do so halfway intelligently. I put up the tarp since it is possibly going to rain tonight. I have it rigged so I can open it up when it is not raining.

I will not use this website or anyone's name or username for my complaint, but I certainly did use your words, so thanks again.

I'm just thinking that it has been raining here all summer. Why all the sudden did water start pouring in so that it was coming out my heating system so that I could obviously see and hear it now. That's the only reason I suspect something must've been building up although it didn't smell funky or look dirty, it looked like clear water coming in.

And as soon as I can GET a qualified roofer to look at this I will. Until then I will go ahead and file the complaint because they will send someone out to inspect the roof. I also want to fix the one area where the shingle has been obviously damaged. I will poke around and see if maybe I should do that at least for now. I feel like this could take some serious time before it gets fixed, like at least a month and it's still raining here.

Edited to add: It IS raining tonight, again. It is like living in the tropics here this summer. All summer it's been like this! In El Paso...

Last edited by Vik61; 09-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:06 PM  
Vik61

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie
Hello Vik:
Just a few extra words to solidify a court case, if it goes that far. I would contact the local chapter of The Home Builder's Association; they certify builders and remodelers in their specialties. They even have a Master Builder certificate and a Master Remodeler Certificate. Short of taking an architect to court with me for an expert witness, I think the Home Builder's Association would be the most effective.
Glenn
Since this TX Dept of Housing is actually listed on my warranty I'm wondering if they aren't the governing body for mobile homes. But I will definitely check into this Home Builider's Association by calling them on Tuesday.

I really have to agree with the poster who said that the people who are building these homes are doing so indoors in nice clean environments and so, heck, they should be doing at least as well as the people working outside on steep inclines, etc. I can see now what happened, and they just messed something up near the heating vent and it didn't get fixed quite right on this home. They just should've taken some steps back and redid it. It would've been a major hassle, but my house wouldn't be leaking like mad right now after only one year of rain.

Thanks for the lead on the Home Builder's Association!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:48 PM  
Vik61

Here's a little update. I cannot even GET a roofer to come out to look at my roof. Every single one of them is booked. I think I have called every one of them. Mobile home people will not look at shingle roofs and many roofers don't want to be bothered with mobile homes, even when I do get someone on the phone. The lines are busy.

IF ANYONE NEEDS ROOFING WORK, COME TO EL PASO AND GET THE WORD OUT YOU ARE HERE. You'll have plenty of business, I would imagine.

I think the continual rain, plus the fact that FEMA is now giving away money for repairs due to the recent flooding and damage, even in my area is part of the problem.

I guess now I have to figure out how to keep warm and pray for the wind to stay low so the water doesn't blow in under my tarp.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 AM  
MTCquality

Vik check your PM box I have sent you a message that may help your situation. Sorry to all for posting this in the forum but I am not sure if Vik is aware he has a PM box.

Sorry,

MTC

Quick Reply