DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Purlin Braced to Joists

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 PM  
nealtw

Liked 678 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

I was thinking just cover the garden area. We see alot of it up here, just to make houses look a little updated, not to much money. And hide the sag!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 267 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 95

With a new roof just prior to your inspection you won’t find clues of movement up there. But you should be able to figure it out by inspecting closely inside and out. For the roof to sag something had to move. It could have been 50 years or more ago and stopped after some settling. You could maybe add some collar ties or something if when you walk around up there feel any bounce. Just tighten things up for peace of mind.

As a side note homes like this were built in mass quantities after the war and chances are the area of this house you will find others with quite similar bones. Walk around the neighborhood and see if others are a little swayback as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM  
Jungle

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Nothing wrong with jimmying up structure. Roof beams sag all the time, if they sag 1" it is sure easy to push it back 1/2"
You can install these trusses and while your at it take you pry bar and push up the roof beam up a bit, looks like your roof us not sagging so much.

Last edited by Jungle; 05-08-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 PM  
nealtw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle View Post
Cut a hole through the ceiling and get a jack post on the sagging beam, slowly push it back it place. Sister another beam on there, secure the beam with more trusses.
So when the jack post just falls thru the floor or breaks a floor joist, do you just stand there with a dumb grin on your face.

The two samples of trusses you posted are designed for certain loads. How about you explain the difference and which one is used for what.

There is a key word that you always here with the word truss and that word is engineered.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM  
gwitz

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Decided to take the easy route and ask the seller to correct it. Expected them to say no and use that as leverage for a reduction in price. They agreed, now hopefully it is done in adequately and passes inspection. Plenty of fun projects to do on the house that don't involve a hot Texas attic.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM  
nealtw

Hope it all works out well, let us know.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 AM  
Jungle

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 21

"So when the jack post just falls thru the floor or breaks a floor joist, do you just stand there with a dumb grin on your face."

You could put another jack in the basement bellow it. On second though i don't think it would need that much pressure. I think simple adding the some 2x4" trusses and using pry bar you could correct the sagging roof beam a bit, it looks like only 1". I'm assuming the rest of the structure is solid. Wood has memory it shouldn't be that hard to get it to remember.

"The two samples of trusses you posted are designed for certain loads. How about you explain the difference and which one is used for what."

If you add more structure but don't add more load what could go wrong? The trusses are ment to hold the roof up. Maybe the old roofing was too heavy?

I don't trust engineers so much,

Last edited by Jungle; 05-09-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM  
nealtw

Jungle:You are making suggestions to people likely with less knowledge than yourself. The post in basement or crawspace should have been in your first write up. You might take chances with the floor but at least tell the guy there is a chance the floor should be braced.

We put up trusses all the time, and in any given set, the engineer might have three different styles. I am sure he has a reason, might be weight load or snow load or wind load. I don't know the difference they come packaged in order and we just put them where they belong.

With this house, we don't know what the problem is. If it is a couple rafters sagging then yes, you could straighten them out and add more lumber. But if the ridge board is sagging it could be that the front or back or both walls have leaned out allowing the center to come down. Not a problem with drywall. I have pulled a wall straight with come-a-longs. But if the house has plaster you would likely just add lumber so it would not move any more.

Quick Reply