DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Raising Roof Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Looks nice

Well my opinion is it looks good, nice job. One thing I always do is double my really ,really rough best guesstimate...then add $500 for trouble well spent at the end.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 AM  
JulieC

Thank you! There are a lot of really ugly additions around here, I don't want one, please and thank you.

I sure hope it doesn't cost double that, egads! We've had some work done before and yeah, I'm with you there. Some of it should be about the same, like the re-roofing since we just got an estimate from the guy that re-roofed our medical office building. I'm already realizing things I forgot about, like the fireplace we want to add to the family room (existing chimney stack, drywalled over by previous idiots ... err, owners), and a new kitchen. The big concern with keeping the costs in line is if we go over $100k, we'd be better off selling and buying/building something new. $50k-$75k I'm good with though, so I keep that in mind as I design.

I'm still wrestling with the exterior some, seems like it needs something else. Some craftsman style roof rafter ends helped, but still something else I think ...

Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM  
Daryl

Don't forget that if you are looking to gian floor space what are now ceiling joist will become floor joist and might need to to beefier than what is in place at this time. 2X10 vs 2X4 or 2X6?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 AM  
JulieC

Thanks for the tip! This plan doesn't call for any ceiling to floor joist work though. The garage space stolen is into thin air. Garage floor=0"e, upper floor=68"e, garage roof ridge at back edge of new tub, pitch is 4:12 on a 24' wide roof, thus there is 48" above the garage ceiling (103"e) plus the thickness of the floor The wonder of the split level ... a 3D program really is needed, and even then it can cause a headache!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM  
leestclair

Last year my kidneys were acting up and i was always getting tire fast,soon after that my kidneys went all the way out and i went on dailysis 3 times a week and i had to leave my job at the hospital,i would be very thankful to get help putting on a new roof because evertytime it rain hard we have bad leaks thank you

Quick Reply