DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Really bad house design

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM  
1HandyWoman

Default Really bad house design

I have a house that I swear was designed and built by an idiot. It is now 22 years old and literally falling apart at the seams and everywhere else. The question/problem I have today that I can't figure out is this.

The house is build on a cement slab, the slab extends out from the foundation on two sides (side and back of house) and is level with the foundation. This means that the sill of the house is sitting at the same level as the "outside" slab so when it rains the water runs down the house, hits the slab and rolls under the sill and rots out the sill, the siding, and the trim that have all been installed down to the slab. I hope this is understandable I have added pictures below.

Now I have removed the rotting trim, siding, etc and can see rot of the sill board happening. What can I do BEFORE I replace the siding and trim to keep water from running under the siding and trim and rotting it AGAIN and further rotting out the sill board, etc?

Any idea without just demolishing this whole stinking house?

stairs-rot-001.jpg   stairs-rot-002.jpg   stairs-rot-003.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 410 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 133

1HW, I think you need to dig a lil deeper and remove that board that has Celotex stamped all over it. Now is the time to make sure you are not covering up a unforseen problem.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 AM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I see your problem: Water freely flows to your sill. We had a similar problem with a slab under steps that actually tilted toward our home and channeled water toward our basement wall. I removed the slab and landscaped so I had a very good grade away from the house. I think you need to do the same - hire someone to cut that slab fairly close to your house, remove the outside part, and then landscape so you have good water drainage away. If you have overhangs or eaves above, this could then keep much of the water away from your sill. Add gutters if you do not already have them and extend your downspouts a good 4-8 ft away from your house.

- Taping & Finishing Drywall Joints
- Inside & Outside Corner Drywall Joints
- How to Repair Small and Big Holes
- How to Build and Finish Drywall Arches
- How to Apply or Repair Texture
Free Tutorials at http://www.drywallinfo.com

Quick Reply