DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Replacing deck siding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 PM  
daleslad

Default Replacing deck siding

Hi all, I am thinking about replacing the siding around the deck of a cabin with Hardie panels and would like to get some feel for what it entails.
I haven't used it before so can it be cut and nailed just like regular wood or is predrilling required and do I need a special saw to cut it.
Does it have to be painted .
I have attached a photo showing the siding I'd like to replace. The cabin is at 7300 ft. so I would like something that will hold up to Mother nature .
I'd welcome any suggestions for making it look better.
Thanks

dsc03141_2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't see any reason not to use Hardie but I am a cedar man I would match what's on the Cttage now just make sure there is suffient framing and while you have the old siding off check everything. A lot easier to fix problems now than later. You need a carbide blade and a good dust mask and use stainless steel nails.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Last edited by Daryl in Nanoose; 05-19-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 PM  
daleslad

Thanks Daryl, I appreciate your suggestions. What do you think about using screws instead of nails.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess you could but have never known anyone to go that route also I forgot to mention the hardi should be nailed 16" on center min.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Pre-dril? That would really slow things down and isn't necessary. Stainless or ACQ rated nails if nailing into newer PT framing or is specified by siding mfg.

Yes, should be painted. I have heard of people staining it too. Could match existing pretty well.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been looking at your pics a little more carefully and I got to tell yah those railings just don't do justice to that nice looking cottage so question I have is
Are you interested in changing them before you redo the siding? and is there a particular reason for the screen?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM  
daleslad

wow lots of great ideas fellas, I'd rather use nails than screws anyway,as for the railing I would like to do something with it but it's a Forest Service cabin and therein lies the rub.
They are very strict about what modifications you can do to the outside of the cabin. Apparently they only allow the wire fence and it's a pain having to take it all down for the winter.
I've only experienced this winter in the cabin and I was told by the previous owner that the snow could cause some damage to the deck if it was left up.
It was originally held up with dozens of screws with washers and I would like to come up with another idea for holding the wire that can easily be removed and replaced.
Any ideas would be welcome.
BTW what thickness would be the best to use for the hardi ?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could make a frame that's removeble that has the screen attached to it.
Make a 1x4 frame sized to the opening less a 1/8" so it fits now cut the wire so its 1" bigger than your frame now bend the edges of the wire so theres a1/2" lip all around and attach it to your frame centered then take some 1x2 and frame it in on all sides so you have a finished looking frame on both sides. You could also do this with a 1x2 and 1x1 frame.
Another way to do this is to sandwich the screen on some 1x2 flat and then frame it with 1x3.

screenrail.jpg  

Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM  
daleslad

Daryl thanks for the suggestions but could you elaborate a bit more on the framing. Are you just framing each end of the wire, you don't mean frame all 4 sides do you.
How would you attach the 1x4 to each of the 4x4 posts so that it can easily be removed.
The rails along the top of the posts come off for the winter so one idea I had was to screw and L shaped bracket at the top and bottom of the post on each side. Off set the bracket enough so the 4x1 could slide down behind them.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:48 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A couple of things. I thought you had 6x6 and didn't know the top came off. If you sandwich the screen with 1x2 all around the outside edge of the screen add 1x1 to the post you can pop the top and slide the panel in and put the top back on.

Quick Reply