DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Replacing deck siding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM  
daleslad

That would work Daryl, now that you mention the size I'm not sure just what they are but looking at the photo they look like maybe they are 4x6's but either way your suggestion will work.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 AM  
daleslad

Thanks roofer another great idea.
Could you explain to me what you mean by 4-7 in. exposure ?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM  
daleslad

Thanks TRG I'll remember that.
Are you referring to the size of the design of the panel when you say 4 - 7 inch exposure ?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 PM  
daleslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl in Nanoose View Post
I have been looking at your pics a little more carefully and I got to tell yah those railings just don't do justice to that nice looking cottage so question I have is
Are you interested in changing them before you redo the siding? and is there a particular reason for the screen?
Daryl I just found out that I was mislead about the deck railings having to have the wire so I'm open to any suggestions for improving the look of the cabin.
Bearing in mind that the fence would still have to be removable due to the heavy snow damage caused by the snow moving off the roof onto the deck.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Hmmm

You could make any railings you want to.I would use some 4x4 posts as the anchor points, and build some rails to fit in-between. Just buy some brackets to hold and remove as you need to change the season.
They sell em, just make sure they will be safe.
Sounds good, have fun up there.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 PM  
daleslad

Thanks, that would work ok

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As mentioned you can do what ever you like, lots of options here. A system I used on a cedar pavillion was I installed a 1x2 to the inside of the posts even with the outside surface then installed a removable panel and then screwed a 1x2 against the panel. I used washers behind the screw heads so they would not have any problem getting them out. On a railing system I would attach a 2x? from post to post at the bottom with a space ( no more than 4 inches) with a block at half way point. As far as the panel goes whatever you like with no more than a 4" space in between the spindels unless of course you use tempered glass.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 AM  
daleslad

Thanks Daryl, that is kind of what I had in mind, although I was thinking that instead of having a permanent bottom rail just put some kind of block at the bottom of each post for the bottom rail of the panel to rest on.
Also was thinking of doing the same thing for the top of the panel and then adding the some kind of spindles. I'd like to make it easy to see through so as not to block the view. I've seen a lot of cabins with painted rebar for the spindles and they look pretty good.
I never thought of tempered glass is that very expensive, although that might be a bit harder to store safely in the winter. I'm short on storage space unfortunately ,
Not sure of the best way to attach the top 2x4 on the panel to the posts.
I'm curious Daryl, what program are you using to draw your designs.
I used to use Adobe Pagemaker years ago and loved it but they discontinued it and I haven't found a substitute that I like yet.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use Microsoft Paint for quick skething. Tempered glass is exspensive unless you have a recycle store around and they can be a pain to store. Your blocks at the bottom sounds good but here is one idea.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 AM  
daleslad

Thanks Daryl, that will work I can take off the top rail and lift out the panel for storage in the winter time, or if it is too heavy to lift straight up I can remove the 1x2 moulding from the front of it.

Quick Reply