DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Roofing and Siding (
-   -   Rolled ridge venting (

Prettygoodist 11-12-2012 08:13 AM

Rolled ridge venting
Any opinions on the plastic rolled ridge venting that is sold in your typical Menards/HD type stores? It just seems chintzy to me and I've been on a few roofs were it appeared to be very clogged with leaves and other debris. If I use it should I tack down some metal screen to double-check the thin strip of plastic mesh on the venting that supposedly keeps the bugs out?

Second floor is converted attic so traditional square vents are not an option. Previous owner insulated with the 1 inch gap under the sheathing to allow for air flow, so ridge vent should work properly.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

oldognewtrick 11-12-2012 09:06 AM

I would reccomend using either GAF Cobra Vent III or GAF Snow Country shingle over ridge vent. It comes in 4' sections.

And :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Prettygoodist 11-13-2012 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info oldog. I'll try to look into those tomorrow. Hoping to finish this up on Thursday so depending on availability I may be going with the rolled.

Thanks for the welcome too. Signed up a year ago and just got around to posting.

nealtw 11-13-2012 07:14 PM

You may want to try roofing supply company.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.