DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Roof with no Attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM  
nealtw

Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literature/PAVbooklet.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM  
picolin

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for that very useful link. I've been looking for a comprehensive guide like that for some time now.

I see your point about the soffits, but I think I'm SOL there. The soffits that feed that portion of the roof are indoors. Seriously, whoever built those two rooms didn't care that much about thinking things through.

These two pictures are looking towards the master bedroom (the one with the issue) from the sun room, which is where the roof ended and the soffits are located.

http://alexlutor.com/House/Indoor_Shingles.jpg
http://alexlutor.com/House/Indoor_Soffits.jpg

Since we are never in the sun room, it gets really hot. If the soffits get any air sucked in, it will be hot.

But you got me thinking... maybe my solution is to try to cool the sun room so that it will provide the chambers in the roof with cooler air through the soffits. Maybe I just need to keep it at around 80 or so degrees. Not exactly arctic temperatures, but cooler than whatever it has in those chambers...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM  
nealtw

I am not sure you want to feed your cooled air here, you still have to replace it some where else.
I would be more inclined to remove the plywood soffit in that room and build an insulated box from side to side and cut a good size vent into which ever side would be the coolest.
Or install vents in the outside wall of this room and help the heat in this room with free air flow.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 PM  
nealtw

BTW The picture of the attic shows the open end of a vent pipe. Nothing should end there so you need to figure out what that is and correct it.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM  
picolin

Likes Given: 1

Ah yes, that vent pipe is harmless, I believe it's plugged on the other side. It used to be for the old boiler, but they installed a newer one and with it a different exhaust. I'll double check on it, though, thanks for pointing that out!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 PM  
nealtw

You want to make sure the pipe isn't an easy path for a fire. Pipe should pbe removed, hole at both ends should be covered with drywall or something like that.

Quick Reply