DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Sealing flashing against glass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM  
darsunt

Default Sealing flashing against glass

I have a window leaks, which I plan to patch using pieces of flashing over a rotten window frame. The problem is I need to have a waterproof seal where the flashing goes up against the glass.
Right now I'm assuming a good silicone sealant will work between a glass and flashing joint. Is this true?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 03:30 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Forum Darsunt:
Yes, silicone is a good product for this use. There are sealants that might have more adhesion but the silicone eliminates a lot of mess.
Glenn

Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Silicone will set/seal very well. You will need a high grade silicone. The easiest rating to find on a tube of silicone is 100%, the next best rating is the years it's supposed to last. 30 year silicone is good stuff, but can't be painted over well.

so, YES!

Silicone latex... this will need to be painted. If you're going to paint it anyway, use the silicone latex and paint it soon.

Welcome to the forum!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 10-25-2006, 04:25 PM  
darsunt

Thanks

I know that usually you use roofing sealant under flashing, my only concern was whether silicone would hold a watertight seal between glass and flashing metal. Since it does, all my problems should be solved!

Quick Reply