DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > shed roof material

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM  
kentannenbaum

Default shed roof material

I've got a old 8 x 20 shed with a flat roof in good shape except the old tar paper is pretty beat and leaks in one place. I saw a roll of material that's crack and peel water proofing and was told it's terrific. Can't recall the name. It's got an adhesive "built in". Can that be put on a relatively flat existing surface or do I need to take up the old stuff down to the plywood? Also, I'm guessing tar paper or some other material has to eventually go over it? True?

Thanks very much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default well

The one I have used is called Mulehide. I get it at ABC Supply, but you need an account, i do not know who has it in your area, I would see if your local lumber yard can get it. Just Peel and stick, and done.The surface has to be a cleaned off roof, as it adhears to the plywood. Doing just fine after 3 years, no signs of any wear. Not like the old tar and nailing flat roof material that needs replacement after 5 years.

The best part...easy to install.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 378 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
The one I have used is called Mulehide. I get it at ABC Supply, but you need an account, i do not know who has it in your area, I would see if your local lumber yard can get it. Just Peel and stick, and done.The surface has to be a cleaned off roof, as it adheres to the plywood. Doing just fine after 3 years, no signs of any wear. Not like the old tar and nailing flat roof material that needs replacement after 5 years.

The best part...easy to install.
I think Inspector meant to say it adheres to 1/2" wood fiber board, secured with screws and plates or you can use Simplex nails to nail down the base sheet I believe. Every spec I've seen calls for install over wfb.

The system Inspector described is a good one, but ABC only sells to installers/contractors. You can find a similar product in the apron stores called "Liberty" which is manufactured by GAF. Both are great systems IF installed correctly, they are 2 part application which consists of a base sheet and then you have a granulated, self adhering cap sheet which goes over the base. Use a drip edge and apply roofing cement on the drip edge and any end lap seams. The instructions are printed on the boxes if you have any questions.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM  
kentannenbaum

Hey....thanks for the advice.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
I think Inspector meant to say it adheres to 1/2" wood fiber board, secured with screws and plates or you can use Simplex nails to nail down the base sheet I believe. Every spec I've seen calls for install over wfb.
Uhmmm,,,yaeh, about that...um,,well boss. I ahh, um kinda just put it over the existing plywood....and ,a hhha well it um....
It actually is workin just fine. I didn't want to put the extra $$ into the shed roof. And I just stuck it down. It's a 3 pitch with 1/2 inch plywood, and a drip and rake edge.

If this was a house, follow the directions, but for an outbuilding , this stuff is way better than tarpaper.

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 378 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
If this was a house, follow the directions, but for an outbuilding , this stuff is way better than tarpaper.
...and make sure that you don't have any exposed nails and you go directly to the plywood, tear off the old roof. Let the area dry, if it still has moisture, before applying the new materials.

Quick Reply