DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Shingles curling on 19 yr old roof, can I get a few more years out of it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM  
Glenstr

Default Shingles curling on 19 yr old roof, can I get a few more years out of it?

I had my home built in '92, and the last few years I have noticed that the shingles on the lower roof section are curling badly where water has been splashing or pouring down from the upper sections. The upper section of the roof is still in relatively good shape, as are parts of the lower section.

I know my roof will need replacing sooner rather than later, but I was wondering if:

• If I found a close match to my existing shingles, could I replace the bad/curled ones only?
  • Would a product such as this get me a few more years? (or even one, since it looks doubtful I will find a contractor for this year, as we are only 60 days or so away from snow and contractors are not easy to find now)

roof_collage.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

The longer you wait, the more likely it is you'll be facing expensive repairs as water gets to your roof sheathing, framing, attic insulation, etc. In your climate, I suspect melting snow will cause more damage than just rain. I've never believed in temporary or partial fixes, unless warranted by unique circumstances. Your new roof will require a complete tear-off of the old one, and you might consider using a more durable shingle this time around (40-year, or even 50-year).

Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 464 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I had my home built in '92, and the last few years I have noticed that the shingles on the lower roof section are curling badly where water has been splashing or pouring down from the upper sections. The upper section of the roof is still in relatively good shape, as are parts of the lower section.

I know my roof will need replacing sooner rather than later, but I was wondering if: Yes you need a new roof now.
  • If I found a close match to my existing shingles, could I replace the bad/curled ones only? Probally not. You will do more damage than fix at this stage.
  • Would a product such as this get me a few more years? (or even one, since it looks doubtful I will find a contractor for this year, as we are only 60 days or so away from snow and contractors are not easy to find now) Save your money for a new roof. As the bridge guy said, temporary patches seldom work long term.
Just my

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with the posts above me. Trying to just do a quick fix here may do more damage in the long run. Try getting shingles that are made to withstand more and last longer. A roof leak will be more head ache than you're willing to deal with, I bet. It could also cause more damage in $$ than a roof costs.

Our roof was leaking once after a shoddy new roof was put on. $15K in damage was done from one rain storm.

Fix it right the first time. Quick fixes are alright for say, that tile that might be curling, but a roof? It protects your life. Fix it.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 860 Times on 768 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

Run a downspout pipe down the roof to transport the water from the upper gutters to the lower ones. Use a color downspout that more matches the the roof color.

Quick Reply