DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Single ply Dibiten system vs 2 ply APP torch system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 PM  
RacerX

Default Single ply Dibiten system vs 2 ply APP torch system?

I need advice for a flat roof that I re-framed to put 8" of pitch over 19ft into. I've been told that a single ply (base sheet, granulated cap) Dibiten system is better and last as long or longer than a 2 ply APP torch system (base sheet, smooth, granulated cap). I know that Dibiten is ALSO a torch down system! In my opinion, I would rather spend a little extra money and over kill it , rather than under kill and go with mininums. I live in Southern California, so ice and snow are NOT a problem!!!! But I do not want to mess with this roof for at least 20 -30 yrs!!! Please. NO advice to go with a BUR (hot mop), PVC, or self sealing type system, I don't think thats going to work for me. So what do the experts think??? Oh, what is the best base for this?? I've been told 25lb, 40lb, 75lb and lay fast or similar type under layment of an SBS type nature. Most guys in my area are going with 25lb. I appreciate all opinions and advice!!

Last edited by RacerX; 09-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 AM  
oldognewtrick

Liked 275 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 89

RacerX, I personally don't think it's going to matter to much whether you decide on a hot or cold process application. Both type membranes are pretty much identical. What should be your biggest area of concern is flashing details. This is where a lot of installers cut corners or lack the details that provide for achieving maximum life expectancy out of a roof system. If you, or a installer is going to apply whatever system you choose, get the MFG's installation sheets and make sure they are followed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply