DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > some roof questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 730 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

You can always goes go with the no vent system, you still need enough insulation above the wall

insulatuin.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Ok , thinking out load here...what if I did put a metal roof on. I run 2x4 over the existing roof verticalaly towards the peak. Then I run 2x4 purlin horizontally across and install a metal roof over that. Then i have good airflow under the new roof. I address any possiable structural needs on the existing framing , and I can staple insulation between the existing trusses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

If you insulate like that you will be making the attic a conditioned area with a different set of problems and four inches is still not enough.
I have spent a little time thinking about this, sometimes the short cut are not worth the effort, this is small straight forward roof, get a price from a truss company just to see what the cost would be like. Look at rising the pitch to match the pitch of the other roof, vaulted to raise the ceiling and solve all the problems.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That was originally my plan , but the main house is gonna cost me a lot so I was seeing my options , I don't really need a vault ceiling , maybe just by a foot then pack insulation in there but not to the deack.
But your right I should at least check the prices of trusses. Were supposed to get 3-5' of snow withing 24 hrs , maybe the roof wont even make it .

24" on center would be the norm?

Last edited by buffalo; 01-06-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

24" would be the norm where I am, that would be a question for the truss guy. I suggested a vault in order to solve the height problem of the wall, I doubt if it would drive the price up much if at all. You would hate to change the roof and still have low ceiling but leving the ceiling in place may save the drywall, you would just leave the ceiling joists and drywall in place.
Hopefully you have insurance again the snow damage.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sure I'm starting to sound like the crazy guy with wacko ideas..

But asumming I was able to leave the existing roof framing , I was thinking about building a new 2x4 wall over the existing walls. I'm going to rewire the house and the existing wire is old and no grounds. I know the insulation probabaly needs improvment. So why not just abandon it all and put up new? Then I would have 2 walls of insulation? I'm on oil hydronics for heat currently , but I'm going to install ductwork for forced air , so I can demo any heating lines in the way with no issue. The ceiling itself has 1'x1' tiles that gotta go . At any rate all new drywall will be installed.

Any reason my wall over wall might be a bad idea?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Double post

Last edited by buffalo; 01-07-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 358 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 121

You don't want to create a double vapor barrier. Moisture can get trapped and cause really bad mold issues.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont believe this is any plastic behind the existing drywall. If i demoed the drywall and left the insulation would it be any different than a 2x6 wall (obviously being slightly thicker)?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Like oldog say it could be a problem but if you just gut the space and build new walls matching stud for stud. You would have good insulation value then. Evan paint on the old drywall can be a vapour barrier and can cause problems.
Back to the roof ; As you suggested earlier about 2x4s above the rafters and then straping. If you remove the old sheeting for the bottom 2 ft, that would give you space for more insulation of the wall. You would be looking to get 6" batts there with air flow over that.
Or one more idea; Remove 8" of drywall from top of wall and ceiling add firestop behind the wall drywall and and build a sloped ceiling there on the 45. Then you could add drip edge venting and you would be good to go.
It's good to explore all ideas before starting, nothing is crazy until you do it.

Quick Reply