DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > some roof questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:00 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The building inspector is aware of the 2nd story , and my roof plans. I haven't raised the question about a permit being pulled. It's deffinatly not original , as you said earlier , the wiring used in spots is way newer. Also some old 2x4 roof joists are still in the ceiling above the kitchen. They just abandoned them there as they laid the 12"O.C. 2x6 joists. The majority of older houses in this area used to be summer cottages , which eventaly became houses and additions scabed on to additions. I'm a couple miles from lake Erie beaches.

Last night I did demo a wall . The wall with the door seperating the kitchen and dining area wasn't load bearing. What a differance. Above the wall are 4 joists , although 1 of them is in 2 pieces? The other 3 are solid wall to wall. The upstairs beedroom wall is directly over it.

As far as the double and triple joists in the living room go , I figured they did that because the length of the span? Two of the double joists are actually 3 joists on one wall , but somewhere above the ceiling one joist stops and its only a double on the other wall , so I just drew them in as double joists. Over the living room they sit on shims , maybe 1/2" , and are toenailed into the wall. They are also nailed into a board running perpendicular , I believe running the length of the walls.

Last edited by buffalo; 02-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

These are the walls I'd like to remove. The red walls are the ones I want gone now. The blue walls will be down the road if I can afford an addition and move the stairs.

Red wall #1 I would like to turn into a wall that is about 3' high . Wall #2 I want gone. I want to open up the red portion of wall #3 to make a wider entry way. Wall #4 I'd like to open up , and build a new exterior wall to make the porch an interior room.

I was looking at a carpenters work the other day on the job and questioning him. He removed a load bearing wall and installed a beam in the actual floor space , cutting the joists , and butting them into the beam. I din't know you could do that. That's gotta be weaker than having the joists sit on the beam? Obviously i wouldn't be able to hide the entire beam with that method due to 2x6 joists , but I'm just raising the question. I have 2 weeks off so maybe I can do some of this work.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM  
nealtw

Liked 687 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

The double looks like old construction campared to the rest.
Yes you can buty beams in floor and use steel hangers to hang the joist from them.
The problem is the weight, and tthis is where you should have the engineer look it over. Floors joists should stop on at a bearing wall or beam that has solid bearing. Depending on the weight some time a footing has to go below the floor in the basement. even if there is a footing there it may not be big enough for the added load
#1 carrys floor joists above dining room
#2 carrys floor joists above living room alcove
#3 carrys joists above living room
#4 A header over a 5ft opening would work, Adding the outside wall only works if you have bearing below it. And would be better for the roof.
I think you need the engineer.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will contact an engineer before I tackle any of that. Thanks for all your help Neil , ill let you know what happens.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM  
nealtw

http://www.criterium-ferrari.com/
Some one like this could be helpfull.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default yup

great advice Neil, just having a professional look at what you are going to do.... makes everything go smoother in the long run. They may even find something you forgot, or even have another idea you could do with less cost in the long run.

Hire the Pro, $$$ well spent. And if it sin't , ask for your $$ back. Mention that up front, and have a discussion about how they can help you.
Good luck!!

Just My
Made in the

buffalo Likes This 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice link Neal. I may call them , seems like exactly what I need. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM  
nealtw

I was just hoping they were close to you. I'm sure you could find more like them.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM  
nealtw

Reposting all your drawings and photos and anything elso have might be helpful.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM  
buffalo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quick Reply