DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Spray on siding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

WOW!!

Yeah, I'd check that caps lock. This is no place to get all excited.

Mr. Stearns, if you would show us how it works and maybe some pictures of jobs that have been around for a while, you might convince us. My teaching has always been to put a vapor barrier on the inside of the wallspace and to have an airspace between exterior walls and their final coverings. Even brick has a 1" air space between the wall and brick. Vinyl is supposed to be "hung" loosely to allow for movement and ventilation. Does the spray on work like a paint or is it supposed to be a structural self supportive wall covering? I've never seen it. Paint doesn't totally seal wood siding because natural expansion will break the joints under the siding laps. Does your product also break at the laps?

As far as the rubber boots analogy, I don't get it. I sweat enough just walking to my duck blind or working a shovel in a ditch to make my rubber boots a miserable pruney mess.

Tom in KY, seeking enlightenment.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 10:04 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default I called...

I called a dealer in my area to get some more info...
Stay tuned...

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Got the info....

Well... I'm half right..
I talked to a distributor in my area for quite a while, He was very forthcoming with the info.
This is what I gleened from our conversation, I'm sure I will be corrected again, but it's all good.This is how I learn.
The spray on has to be preped like it is a new building. All damage and decay must be replaced, not repaired.Then the building has to have all interior moisture problems eradicated.
Then the building can be preped with the primer, then the paint siding.
This stuff aparently can expand 500 times before failure, kind of like a rubber band.
It is slightly vapor permiable, aparently enough to get minor amounts of water out.It is also only installed on wood, no steel or concrete.WHY? To many moisture problems.....HMMMMM......
However..... If ALL the criteria for the install is not met.. you can have major failure of the wood behind. This stuff actually bonds to the wood itself and gets into the pours.
This is where I personally have the problem.If you have failures they will show up as large bubbles full of water. I know folks dont even look at maintinence on thier homes in the real world.When are they going to notice these problems behind bushs and up high over a roof,or when they only drive into the garage every night?
I know all contractors are the best at what they do right?
That's why there are no problems in the building industry today, just hunky dorey.
The installations from contractors who do not follow protocol are where we end up with the bad installations.This guy even stated that this is where the problems are THROUGHOUT this industry.
So if he knows there are problems with the installs why dont they fix the material to be goof proof?
So I officially apologize to the Irate gentleman and his perfect installs.May he enjoy many more dinners.

I would still NEVER install this on my home.

InspectorD

Just My
Made in the

Last edited by inspectorD; 03-21-2006 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply