DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Stumper - Architectural Shingle Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default Stumper - Architectural Shingle Install

Bet I'll stump everyone. We have a roof to cover with left over Domain Winslow random architectural shingles. (Elk Corp) They are supposed to look "random" so the shingles have 3 or 4 tabs or? I called the mfgr and their customer service people ran out of the room.

I have a double starter course down already. What I think I will do is take each shingle out of the package in sequence across the roof. But, Course #2 is a problem because cutting 8" off (as instructed) leaves a sliver of a tab remaining. Seems wrong to me. Also, the seams appear to be uncovered in places.

How do I apply the next few courses?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 04:53 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 416 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 134

On that type shingle it is REAL important that you use the proper starters. You cut 4-8-16" off the end of the shingle, if you are ending up with a small part of the tab, what side are you cutting off? For those type shingles they will only work if you follow the directions to the letter.

They look really nice, have a unique look, but I see more misapplied than installed correctly. Staircase them so you will get a better blend, don't run the whole course horizonal then start the next course. Work up the roof at a diagional.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
random, roofing, shingles

Quick Reply