DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > total replacement of roof....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Shan2,

How about hiring an independent house inspector to take a look at your roof and tell you if you need new decking? I believe they charge about $350 to do a whole house inspection - maybe they'd just do this assessment for a lesser fee?

If you don't need the decking, it would save more than the inspection fee. And if you do, at least you'll know you did the right thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default Hey

You took the words right out of my keyboard....

Most will charge an hourly rate....about $175 up here. Really good inexpensive advice .

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-16-2007, 06:45 PM  
pgriz
Professional Metal Roofer

It's probably getting late in the season, and don't know if you have already commited yourself, but...

It's not clear to me what kind of sheathing you have on your roof. Is it OSB or plywood, or planks? What thickness? Do you have any pictures of the wood from inside the attic? You mentioned that the wood looked dark. That could be due to mold, or other causes. Mold usually means that there is condensation in your attic which is supporting the growth of the mold. The condensation may be a result of persistent leakage (through roof or flashings), and/or due to improper entry of moist air (bathroom vent or kitchen vent), and/or due to insufficient ventilation.

If the wood is cracking when you walk on it, you may have thin plywood (3/8inch or so) which has partly delaminated (due to leakage from above), and the cracks you hear is the remaining glue holding the plies together breaking. If the wood is delaminated, but not moldy, it can be sheathed over. If it is delaminated AND moldy, it's probably best to remove it, and redeck (resheath) with new plywood (I prefer 1/2 inch or more). To make all those decisions, you really need to find either a good home inspector, or pay a good roofer for his/her professional advice.

I'd suggest you don't sign any contract until you get a clear explanation from a roofer as to what exactly is happening, what contributed to the problems, and what solution they propose that will resolve the problems. It doesn't hurt to ask them to refer to a former customer (or even two) of theirs that had the same problem as you for whom they fixed the problems. Then you can get a clearer idea from the former customers whether the roofer's advice was/is worth following.

Good Luck.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:37 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

pgriz..... I have had several estimates... only one of them was willing to take all of the wood off and start all over again... that est was 9000 for 19 squares..... one person got in the attic, he said some of the plywood needed replaced. (I am not sure of thickness... cant get to an area to tell how thick it is ... any suggestions?).... it is plywood, the house is 28 years old and the rafters look to be 22-24 inches apart.
here is a picture of the roof deck
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shan2themax/999833668/

I have temporarily fixed the leak... so hopefull I can wait till feb, march to do the roof (i will be better able to afford 9000 then also)

Old 11-17-2007, 04:54 PM  
pgriz
Professional Metal Roofer

If there's an opening cut through the roof (vent, pipe stack, etc.), the cut is usually square, and it's possible to measure the thickness of an exposed edge.

Saw your photo, and the decking is definitely darker than I would expect. I've uploaded three photos in my gallery that look closely at the deck. Each photo is from a different house, and shows different things. Have a look and see if there's anything there that looks like your situation.

Personally, until you find a roofer who can explain everything to you (what issues he found on your roof, what corrective action he's recommending, exactly how will he fix each issue), I'd hold off on engaging a roofer. As I noted earlier, try to get the roofer to tell you about other customers who had your type of problem and then call them up and find out if in fact the roofer diagnosed the problem correctly and then fixed it.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:10 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
will you pay traveling expenses ??
that may be tempting when I am at the point that I can do it.... I'll keep you in mind... only one company here was willing to do a total tear off.. as for ventilation.... you are on the money... no right now... the bathrooms do not have ventilation (other than plumbing)... I will be adding that... but the kitchen hood has been dumping ventilation up there for 30 years... so i bought a new one that does not ventilate up into the attic... it just comes out the top of the range hood.... Hopefully that will slow down what is already going on. and again thanks for your replies...I think that you will be a good assest along with all the other greats on this forum!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 PM  
prodigymytch

Send a message via MSN to prodigymytch

First off, let me say you have a beautiful house.

I roofed for about a year. I wasn't the contractor but I learned what I should. I can't give you a "deal price" cos I'm in a small town, and it's cheaper here, (I think).

I will say that even with replacing the decking, your house looks like an easy house to do. With the summer coming around, you might seeing if you can't find some people you know to make a project out of it. You only need one person who knows how to roof to teach everyone else. Tearing off is really no issue. And the cost of shingles can save you thousands of dollars.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 PM  
bubbajoebo

My Wife and I are in the same position with our roof. After talking to some roofers and contractors and looking in the attic, we are going to have to remove all the decking (1925 house), scab the rafters, and put a new roof on. One guy said he could just put a metal roof on top of it but would still fix the rotten wood just because of mold issues down the line. Any opinions... we can see daylight (the size of a basketball) in one area and when you walk on the roof I swear I'm gonna fall through it is so unstable/rotted. Thanks yall, glad to join the forum, the roof is 30sq with gables and every estimate is near $10-12k.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM  
quiltmaster

I'm bumping this because I'm in the same situation. We have what has been described as the worst case of powder post beetles the inspector has ever seen. They are in the rafters. He has suggested getting a structural engineer ot to do a repair plan. but the most simple fix is to rebuild the roof from the rafters up. We have 1500 sq ft, live in Florida and have asphalt shingles.

I too would like a ball-park estimate before I start dealing with contractors if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.
Anthony

Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM  
DaveyDIY
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Get local estimates
Prices vary widely by area

Quick Reply