DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Venting Attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM  
Oldmandan

Default Venting Attic

Hi,
I've been searching the www for an answer to my problem for awhile now, but no luck. Hopefully somebody here has the knowledge to get me in the right direction.

I have a condo, with a loft that has been added by the previous owner. I use it as an office, but it gets so hot up there, I can't go up there in the summer. It can get as hot as 108-110 in August. As a point of reference, the condo is approx. 1400sq. ft. in Anaheim,CA

I've attached a diagram below. The loft only spans half the width of the house, the other half of the house has a normal attic which connect to the small area in front of the loft. I have used my friends smoke machine to blow smoke up into the roof vents of the small attic area, and it just lingers. The whirlybird on the other side of the house is apparently not strong enough to vent this small area. My first thought is to put a attic fan in the smaller area, but everything I read says it must be placed just shy of the roofs peak?

So my questions are?
1. Is it recommended to remove the batting behind the wall?
2. What is the best location for the new attic fan?

I'm open to getting a second attic fan for the larger side of the house if it's needed.

attic.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Is there a clear path for air to travel from the lower roof to the roof with the whirly vent?
Your picture also shows something that looks like a vent between the two roofs which should not be there. I would also be looking at the venting in the ceiling/roof over the new loft

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM  
Oldmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Is there a clear path for air to travel from the lower roof to the roof with the whirly vent?
Hi Neal, thanks for your quick response. Yes it's clear, but it has to make a 90 degree turn to get to it, and after my smoke test I can see that the smoke would not go that direction. It just lingered in the lower roof area until it dissipated?

Quote:
Your picture also shows something that looks like a vent between the two roofs which should not be there.
Correct, there's a vent there, Should I block that off? I neglected to draw the other 2 small 1" tall vents on the roof of the larger attic area. I added them to the picture below. I've wondered if all these vents so close to the whirlybird was keeping it from working well?

Quote:
I would also be looking at the venting in the ceiling/roof over the new loft
The roof above the loft has no attic, it's a vaulted ceiling all the way down to the first floor. Is there some sort of special vent than can be used for vaulted ceiling applications?

Again, thanks for your reply

attic.jpg

Last edited by Oldmandan; 01-19-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 PM  
Oldmandan

Here's a birdseye view

birdseye-view.jpg

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

How it should be is intake vents at the soffets and exhaust vent on one side of the ridge
When the whirlly was added the other shoud have been closed as it will just pull air from the easiest path, the gable vent in the wall should be closed. My guess is the the whirly was installed when the loft was finnished to help with venting that roof.
You could just staple cardboard over these holes from the inside and do your smoke test.
Above the loft there should be a space above the insulation for air to flow from soffet to the ridge.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM  
Oldmandan

Neal, I will try that. Thanks for your help

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The vent you have now would vent one rafter bay and that's it.
With a shed style roof there is a way to do it with a venting system that's built in to the highest part of the roof, and is attached to the wall.
I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

DCI Products, Inc. - SmartVent Shed Roof Application

Another way is to install a square gable vent in a side wall outside.
It would go in the area between the ceiling and roof rafters.
That would only work if it was not a catheral ceiling.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Joe: It looks like the vaulted ceiling was part of the origanel construction and hopefully was strapped which would allow air flow to the vents. I was just going after one problem at a time to see if he can get air to move thru the shed attic. The next question is if there is soffet vents both ends of the building and somehow test the airflow espeacially like you say the vaulted roof.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM  
Oldmandan

Correct, the vaulted roof was original. As far as I can see there is no venting at all in the vaulted ceiling area of the house.

I like the idea of the smartvent, it seams ideal for what I need. However, I don't think the association is going to allow me to do that level of construction without a contractor, if they even approve it.

I've thought about putting a fan between the 2 roofs to draw air out of the shed roof into the larger roof, controlled by a thermostat? It might just be easier to put another whirlybird or attic fan on the shed roof though?

Quick Reply