DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Vinly Paint - PolymatrX - Siding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 08:52 AM  
MTCquality

Default have you considered steel

Steel siding is available in your area, but unforunately it is through the franchise companies that charge outragoues prices up to as much as 800 a square. The new steel is a perfect low maintenance product. It has a 40 year warranty and doesnt chalk and fade like the old steel. I provide steel siding in my area. If seams are not a concern to you they also make a steel panel that is 12' 6 just like vinyl. Both the steel products look like vinyl, will look better for alot longer and will not require painting for at least 30 years in the harshest weather conditions. This is not meant to be spam or an ad. But you can go to my website and compare the different types of siding. Hardi board siding is a good product but you will see how it reacts under the high moisture conditions on the "Steel Siding" tab under "our products" on our website. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I have been in the siding business for a 15 years+....Dont buy the sales pitches until you research. The Energy star website is a good tool and so is Consumer Reports magazine. www.mtcquality.com

thanks

MTC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

MTC is a regular contributor of good advice.

If a person wanted to paint steel siding, What would he use and how long would it last? Would there be a lot of prep, or just the regular, TSP wash and light sanding?

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 PM  
MTCquality

Default painting

As far as painting steel siding it is gonna be quite an undertaking and I would not suggest DIY for the project. A fine sanding or better a pressure washer with some form of deep cleaning agent. Always make sure your siding is free of loose paint and dirt, if your metal siding is the old steel or aluminum chances are it is chalking. Dont give much thought to chalking it is going to be incapsulated with the new coat of paint. Once the siding is prepped if you are a worry wart you can prime it but with the high quality paints available it is really just peace of mind you are paying for when considering to primer it. The last step is to buy a fibrous plasticized paint that will allow the house to do its natural maintenance and also breathe. These steps also work well on a standing seam or steel roof of anykind. (google "Kynar 500")

and a side note- I am still searching for anything positive about spray on vinyl on the net so I can support some of the above thoughts and opinons.

Thanks Square eye for the compliment, and its my pleasure to share my opinions and knowledge with good people like yourself and others.

thanks

MTC

Quick Reply