DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Water collecting under soffet

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM  
ccoates

Default Water collecting under soffet

The bottom edge of my roof slightly overhangs the gutter for proper drainage. I have noticed rain water dripping to the deck from behind the gutter. Upon investigation I find that water is collecting in the inner edge on the front face between the soffit and the gutter. I am unable to determine exactly where, but the whole lip of where the soffit rests is full of water. When looking up on the roof the only problem I notice is that the very front edge of the shingles, on this whole section of roof is slightly curved upwards. I believe that this is preventing water from draining correctly. The edge of the roof is high enough that I suspect that it is higher than the upper edge of the flashing under the shingles. Again, I suspect that this allowing water to get under the flashing and therefore get into the soffit space.
I am looking to see if my theory about my problem makes sense and see if there are any suggestions as to how to correct this.
Thanks
Chris

photo.jpg  

Last edited by ccoates; 03-15-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Photo added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 458 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Can you post a pic of this area?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I've got the same problem but, the cause is a little different.
For me, the shingle does not overhang far enough to reach the gutter and where ever there is a gutter nail, it drips onto the nail and runs behind the gutter.
Your problem sounds like it could be the cause of shingles going bad and/or ice damming. If the water does not roll off the shingles but, backs up into the shingles and gets behind the drip edge then the water will exit between the fascia and the gutter. At a minimum, you'll need to replace the curled up shingles.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A simple fix is to just bend a piece of coil stock, slide it under the first row of shingles and have it lay inside of the gutter.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM  
appdoc

I've a simular prob & was thinking along the lines of joecaption said. Now I think I'm going to give it a try.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM  
Rock16

Install drip edge.

Cheers
Bill
[URL="http://www.dctsiding.com"]Exterior Professional[/URL]

Quick Reply