DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Wind damaged t-lock shingle roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 AM  
Ralphgarou
Submarine racing fan

Default Wind damaged t-lock shingle roof

Hi All-
The roof over my deck has sustained some wind damage, exposing the plywood underneath. The asphalt t-lock shingles they used when the house was built are no longer manufactured, however. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this if I can't get the right shingles.

I can get different kinds of shingles that match in color, but how to I make a durable, good looking repair here that mates up properly with the existing roof?

Thanks for the help...

roofdamage1.jpg   t-lockshingle.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

I'd remove all shingles from the over-deck portion of the roof, then start from the bottom edge with new felt and 3-tab shingles. When you get to the first course of T-lock shingles, slide the felt and 3-tabs under. Nail, and then use roofing cement to seal the joint between the T-lock shingles and the new 3-tabs. This connection would be right about at that gutter line.

Oh, and add metal drip-edge to all edges of that over-deck roof. When you cement the edge-line shingles to that, it makes for a stronger, more wind-resistant edge. Plus, it should help keep wind-driven water from damaging your sheathing.

That's what I would do anyway!

Last edited by Quattro; 04-07-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply