DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Roofing and Siding (
-   -   Wood stove stained my shingles #$@!! (

Trapaddict 03-27-2006 04:14 PM

Wood stove stained my shingles #$@!!
Is there any way to remove or at least lighten some stains on my shingles caused by my wood stove chimney? Something that will not degrade the asphalt yet attack the creosote or whatever the heck it is? My chimney allowed the build up of too much creosote because of burning some wood that was too wet. The smoke at the chimney was actually cool enough to allow dark icicles (actually ice not creosote) to form on the lip of the chimney cap and drip on theroof causing the stains.


oldslowchevy 03-27-2006 05:18 PM

i have sprayed bleach and then washed it off with a power washer holding the nossle about 12-18"off the shingles also i worked from the peak and worked my way down so i wouldn't get any lift on the shingles but i would not sujest that you do this if the pitch is more than a 7-12 as slipping and falling becomes a real safety concern

Trapaddict 03-28-2006 06:48 AM

Oldslowchevy -

Was you technique used to remove the same type of stains I am talking about or just rust and other stuff?


oldslowchevy 03-28-2006 10:51 AM

it was with rust from a flue pipe and tree pitch the roof was so stained that it was very hard to tell what color it really was and once done it wasn't prefect but i was able to go about 90-95% of the roof to match the rest of the shingles also as stated in my frist post you can not put the nossel right down on the roof as it can tear though a shingle also if your roof is more than a 7-12 pitch safety becomes a real concern so what ever you do please just be careful in doing it

Trapaddict 04-03-2006 08:21 PM

Were you running straight bleach or diluted somewhat?


Square Eye 04-03-2006 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by oldslowchevy
it was very hard to tell what color it really was and once done it wasn't prefect but i was able to go about 90-95% of the roof to match the rest of the shingles

I've never seen anything take kreosote off of shingles. I've tried a lot of products myself to remove stains from roofs. Bleach, tire cleaner, Dawn, Simple Green works about as well as anything if you let it soak for a while first. That's hard to do when the sun is up and the roof is drying as fast as you can spray it on. If you find something that works, let us know. Be careful with bleach and other cleaners, you will streak up the fascia boards and gutters before you know it. I found this out the hard way.

Tom in KY, I didn't dilute anything, but now I know to lay a towel on the roof below where I'm working!

inspectorD 04-04-2006 05:56 AM

Little miracle
Try WD 40 .It works wonders on roof tar.
Protection as Tom in KY said.:cool:

oldslowchevy 04-04-2006 08:10 AM

to answers trap addict question to me i used the bleach strait i put it in a pump up style of sprayer so i could control it better. sq eye you are 100% correct about the risk of some steaking but the home that i have done this on was getting new fascia boards and and i truly should have stated that in my frist post and thank you for pointing that out to everyone,and now inspector D unless this is a small area(3sq ft or less)i would not use oil of any kind on a roof the risks to safety in my opion just are not worth it,and being on a roof for most poeple is scary enough now if was siding(not wood though)i would agree with you 100% but you have to keep in mind the roof is the place where the home owner is the most likely to get very very hurt if he/she slips up there also think of if like this dry roof most poeple are 85%stable wet roof brings that down around near 60-65% oil slicked roof more than likely around 40%stabe and the biggest thing that happens is fear more than the oil,they would start to slip and brace them self then in an instatend regain traction but are so froze up in fear could still topple over and please inspector don't take this as a but reaming from it is do give very good advise it is just this one is alittle shaky at best IMHO

inspectorD 04-04-2006 02:36 PM

What's wrong with a little slip and Sssliddddeeeee???

Honestly I think everone needs to be careful on a roof..even us experts.
The Idea that some one may be on the roof at the same time as the WD-40 trick did escape my Homeowner common sense mantra.
As always do it safe, Mabey from a ladder at the edge tied off with some fall protection.

I was only explaining how to get the tar removed, Saftey is up to the individual.

Darwin speaks!!

Bridgewater 04-05-2006 11:51 AM

Trapaddict; I have called three of our our supplers to try and find help for you on this staining proublm, With no disrespect, everyone said tell this guy to quit burning wet wood or reroof with a color shingle of the stain. LOL
Well what I found out is this is a wood sap or resin on your shingles.
WD 40 is OK for your roof< I had my doubts! Another one is a product I use to clean tar or anything else from from my siding, and was suggested. It will rinse off with water, made by DeWitt and called Removeit. This is the site.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 PM.