DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Wood stove stained my shingles #$@!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 AM  
oldslowchevy

Send a message via Yahoo to oldslowchevy

well i sure would like to know what has happen to date and if you had any luch sofar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 07:03 AM  
Trapaddict

Problem was not so much with wet wood but an oversised chimney and an airtight stove. Existing chimney was 8". Flue pipe on stove was a 6". Add airtight into the equation and you have an extremely slow draft. I don't care if you are burning 15% moisture wood, you are going to get build up with stack temps that low and drafts that slow. I still have not attacked that stain problem. Wood stove is coming out though, that is certain. Have my new corn burner in the garage in the crate. I do have enough shingles I saved from the original roof installation 3 years ago to redo the problem area but I did not want to have to go there. I am trying to decide if I want to rinstall stove in the garage for supplimental winter heat. If I do, I am running a 6" seamless liner up the inside of the existing 8" double wall class A to get the draft speed and stack temps up.

Jeff

Old 05-18-2006, 02:29 PM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

Hmmm I'm wondering if waterless hand cleaner will work? GO-JO or something like that...

Take a scrub brush, and a liberal amount on it, then scrub the area and wash off with some water from a large sprayer...(hose type, not blast with a power washer... I would worry about damaging the shingles with that).

Since its a petroleum product, it should cut the soot, as it would your hands, and be gentle to the shingles... (but as always, test on a part of the roof tha isnt going to be showing or spare shingles..)..

I think this might actually work...to think more about it

Jesse

Quick Reply