DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > Compound mitre saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 AM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw, only a couple of times would I have used a slider.
My use was to build a log home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 AM  
TNTROY

Default Compound mitre saw

Hello first post! My question is i am looking to buy a mitre saw but i dont know witch to buy. I am looking at the dewalt from lowes but they have all different sizes. I want a double bevel saw but i dont think i want the sliding one. I wan to buy the one that i will use fore a long time the main purpose for buying it is to build a new front and back porch and other projects later on. help is dewalt a good brand? or would something else work just as good for less? I am a mechanic by trade and know nothing about carpentry Please help.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM  
gatorfan

I can't advise on brands, but I have a Ridgid 12", and I like it. I use the sliding feature all the time, especially for wide trim pieces (e.g large crown molding, exterior fascia). BTW, I bought a refurb, and it was in basically brand-new condition when I got it. I highly recommend that you consider one and use your "savings" to upgrade to a nicer saw. Not sure about the linking policy, but a Google search will turn up sources.

Matt

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM  
TNTROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
I have a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw, only a couple of times would I have used a slider.
My use was to build a log home.
Thats what i needed to know.. I think i am going to get the 12 inch double bevel saw..

Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 AM  
TNTROY

I bought the dewalt Dw716 and this thing works great.. I also bought the rockwell jaw horse with the miter saw adpter and i love this stuff works great together. I now look forward to doing home remodeling projects...

Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own three differant brand compound saws.
Hitichi 12" double bevel, with slide (super saw, powerful, will cut up to 12" in one pass, great when trying to cut things like wide rim joist, soild stair treads, porch fasha boards.

Ryobi 12", I've had this saw for 15 years and it still works fine, never has given me any trouble except the bearing are getting old so I nolonger use it for fine trim cuts. Ha for under $200.00 when new I expected that.

12" Dewalt, it get the least use because between the switches and brushes going bad it's been a pain.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have two Ryobi saws, one standard miter saw I bought new way back in 1986 when I started to frame and trim out my house. It has been all over and still runs pretty darn good. My new sliding saw and stand is used for trim and cabinet work. The slide is great as you can get a large board in there and make a perfect cut ( as long as you measure twice, cut once!) New version is not as heavy duty as my 1986 model, but what's new? I also have a Ryobi table saw, not really intended for commercial use but good around the house for home projects, ripping, easy to transport. My Craftsman skill saw was bought back in 1980s and still can do the job.

Hey TNTROY: Send us some pics of your first projects there.

Hey BlueJay: How about pics of that Cabin you built.

Wife: "You can buy anything you want when you redo this house."

Husband: "Could I get that in writing, dear?"

Last edited by thomask; 12-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply