DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Tools (
-   -   Extension ladder stabilizer? (

dthornton 08-12-2012 12:18 AM

Extension ladder stabilizer?
I saw a product on TV awhile back that I'm hoping someone can help me locate. It is a hoop that bolts to the bottom of your extension ladder. Both ends of the hoop have feet on them. The hoop adjusts so that no matter what terrain you're on, whether it's level ground or a steep hill, the ladder will stand perfectly upright and stable. Anyone know what this ladder "tool" is called and where to buy it? Thanks!:confused:

BridgeMan 08-12-2012 01:51 AM

Never heard them called tools before, but a few 2 x 4 blocks should do the trick. And if you're going higher than one story, carrying loads up or down the ladder, a paving pin driven into the ground at the center of the bottom rung is almost mandatory.

oldognewtrick 08-12-2012 06:15 AM

I've seen ladder stabalizers at the big box stores in the isle where they sell ladders.

nealtw 08-12-2012 02:14 PM
The adjustable leg is a better way to go as it fits in tight places.

dthornton 08-13-2012 12:05 AM

neal, you "da man"! The BaseMate (4th picture on the top row in that link) was what I was looking for. THANK YOU! BridgeMan, thanks for the ideas. Yes - I have to go up 2 stories to paint my house (not looking forward to it - I definitely have a phobia of going up a ladder higher than about 10').

joecaption 08-14-2012 08:07 AM

I use these on my ladders works great.
Far cheaper then being out of work or dead from a fall using blocks of wood as suggested.

I also often use a ladder stand off at the top of the ladder. It keeps the ladder from tipping from side to side, holds it out away from the gutters.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 PM.