DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > Mitering question on my 113.1971-50 RAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM  
HoundDog57

Default Mitering question on my 113.1971-50 RAS

Hello I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
I am trying to upgrade my Craftsman RAS 113.1971-50 with the new safety kit
from Emerson. My problem is that the arm won't swing left past 48 deg but it will swing past 60 deg to the right. This is preventing me from correctly leveling the brackets for the new table-top. The auto stops are locking it in the 45,90, and 45 presets properly. I took the arm apart and didn't see any broken, loose or missing parts.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM  
cibula11

Is there dust and debris under the base of of where the arm swings? Mine is a cheaper RYOBI but I had problems when I want to move the arm to the left. It always stuck. I unscrewed the top and removed the dust. It helped a little.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM  
HoundDog57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
Is there dust and debris under the base of of where the arm swings? Mine is a cheaper RYOBI but I had problems when I want to move the arm to the left. It always stuck. I unscrewed the top and removed the dust. It helped a little.
Nope, everything is clean. It's as if the post is turned too far to the right. If I were to turn the post to the left (so movement of arm would be equal both left and right) the 90 deg indent would actually be off to the left. I guess I should have taken a few pics while I had it apart. I did however get the table braces level and everything else is fine as long as I don't have to cut a 52 deg left angle.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 PM  
HoundDog57

By the way, thanks for your input.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Most radial arm saws have detents at safe operating angles. If you swing past 48degrees left, will the saw travel off of the table?
The blade already being biased to the left will make it more likely to travel over the edge of the table which would be a dangerous situation. Some of the most aggravating nuisances on our power tools are there for our own safety

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 AM  
HoundDog57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye View Post
Most radial arm saws have detents at safe operating angles. If you swing past 48degrees left, will the saw travel off of the table?
The blade already being biased to the left will make it more likely to travel over the edge of the table which would be a dangerous situation. Some of the most aggravating nuisances on our power tools are there for our own safety
Thanks! That made complete sense. Funny how the operating manual doesn't mention a thing about that but every other safety tip in triplicate.
BTW I really like the addition you created on the front of the house, I had been looking at that in the gallery when I first signed up on this site.
Thanks again for your response, Mark

Quick Reply