DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > Need table saw recommendations...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM  
beppington

I bought this Skilsaw table saw a few years ago: Click

... & it's been great. Maybe some of you wouldn't think it's the toughest thing in the world, with a plastic frame, but I use it alot & think it's lasting just fine. I like that I can easily grab the handles & move it around or even carry it.

If OP isn't gonna use it all that much anyway, & isn't gonna move it around, it would be great ... and I think it's only about $250, & doesn't require 220V.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Keep the guard on; hand surgeons charge between $1K and $4K per hour.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM  
Doorguy4ya
door guy 4 ya

Send a message via Yahoo to Doorguy4ya

I have Ridgid with the portable table and i love it. I also built a small table on the other side, to catch doors I'm trimming.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Some people with these saws have trouble with the 120v breaker tripping occasionally on start up.

If this happens put the saw on a #14 extension cord, 50' or 100'.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM  
lbhsbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppington View Post
I bought this Skilsaw table saw a few years ago: Click

... & it's been great. Maybe some of you wouldn't think it's the toughest thing in the world, with a plastic frame, but I use it alot & think it's lasting just fine. I like that I can easily grab the handles & move it around or even carry it.

If OP isn't gonna use it all that much anyway, & isn't gonna move it around, it would be great ... and I think it's only about $250, & doesn't require 220V.
I found one of the those on sale at HD and picked it up when I bought my first house a couple years ago....nice saw, but the fence was junk. The first time I clamped it in place, it bulged at either end, making it worthless. Be carefull not to clamp it too tight.

I bought the ryobi on special for $200....regular price is $269 I think.

I love it. The table extends out enough so that you can deal with a full sheet of plywood without too much effort. The fence and locking mechanism is decent. The miter is a bit clumsy but works well....I rarely use it becuase I have a chop saw. It's got wheels on it and a folding stand that is very well designed. I've used it for countless projects...gone through about 4 blades so far (lots of ripping) and it hasn't given me a bit of problems.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM  
mark681137

Don't let the 220 slow you down, its an easy do. I had a unisaw, finally sold it because footprint was so large, one of those things you regret forever. My opinion is hybrids run a little too much for what you get, contractors are easier to find used. Again by limiting yourself to local you are really limiting yourself and what quality you get. Some folks have mentioned fence but don't forget blade, a good blade is gonna be $100 but worth every penny of it. To get a notch above you'll need belt driven, isolates vibration. A good craftsmen belt driven with a flat top would be great, if you could get one around 3 to $400, then put on a $100 blade and add a fence system, I like the Incra models but they are expensive 5 to $700, some can be found used, but at that point you have a top notch machine with the ability to have the router mounted on the tablesaw. The blade and fence can always be transferred to another saw if you ever choose to upgrade.
You'll end up using the tablesaw much more than you probably think, you can easily justify the cost with just a few projects. Mobile base is also a must have.
Check craigslist.org

Last edited by mark681137; 03-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply