DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > Replacing Table Saw Blade

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM  
elbo

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

dont ever use visegrips on a saw blade It's a gauranteed way to ruin a blade and dangerous to boot. You stand a good chance of twisting the blade just enough to cause it to vibrate when running, not to mention thr v'grips slipping and dulling or knocking off a tooth. A better way is to wedge a piece of wood between the blade and tablesaw that the blade won't turn. They also make a blade holder that will do it safer than either method.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Some blades have a hole in them so you can pass a screwdriver shaft through to prevent the blade from turning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM  
jmc0319

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Any suggestions for a new blade?

See below. Any suggestions for a new table saw blade?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just take a scrap of wood and jam it against the blade teeth and the end of the throat.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0319 View Post
See below. Any suggestions for a new table saw blade?
Only you can answer that question. It depends on what type of material you will be cutting. Lots of high-end cabinet plywood cutting would dictate a quality plywood blade with lots of teeth. Doing mostly ripping of solid stock calls for a ripping blade. If it's just mostly cross-cutting of miscellaneous wood, get a decent combination (carbide-tipped) blade. Around here they range from $9 (cheapo Chinese) to more than $75 for a quality 10-inch, made in the USA. I recently paid $13 for a generic combination from a local big box that comes with a life-time replacement policy--just bring back the old beat-up blade, and they'll give me a new one. I like it! Especially since I spent $25 last year to have a high-end, carbide-tipped 10-inch sharpened (including having 2 teeth replaced).
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM  
rander

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know I'm late to the issue posted but I just came up on this posting and thought I'd share a trick learned from a friend who has a shop full of power tools. Get a few small rare earth magnets and use them to attach the wrenches and small tools for a specific tool to the machime. Find an out of the way spot to put a magnet on the machine then put the wrench or whatever on the magnet. A big wrench may need two. Those little magnets are powerful and really hold tight. It keeps the tool with the machine and saves a lot of hunting.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I like "Diablo" saw blades. They work well and last a pretty long time. For a general, all-purpose blade, go for what they refer to as a "combination". If you're cutting furniture grade wood, or thin stuff, or need a smooth edge, get a blade with more teeth. If you just want to rip through some 2X's, get a blade with fewer, but larger teeth. Larger teeth take bigger "bites" so they cut faster, but they also leave jagged edges (not an issue for stuff like framing). Smaller, more numerous teeth cut much slower (you don't want this if you're cutting a lot of framing or some 3/4" plywood, etc) but they also leave a smoother edge. Great if you're building cabinets or furniture. Now that you found your wrenches and can change blades easily, why not buy a set of 3 blades - one course, one combination, and one fine tooth? Then you'll be set for most general wood cutting you may want to do. ((For cutting anything other than wood, you'll need specialty blades, such as diamond grit. As at the place you purchase your blades))

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Sorry BridgeMan - I just saw your answer, and I said pretty much the same thing. Don't forget the safety glasses!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM  
Thomas529

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use my tablesaw a lot. I love the Forrest blades.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 388 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Sure, as long as you are planning on carbide tipped! Diablo makes a good all purpose blade with 40 teeth. More teeth = higher price and finer cut. In descending order, Marathon (Irwin) then Dewalt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10-in-x-40-Tooth-Carbide-Circular-Saw-Blade-D1040X/100055325

Quick Reply