DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > covering bathroom tile

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM  
Eddy

Default covering bathroom tile

I want to cover my old one inch tile in my bathroom with linoleum. Should I just use a piece of luan board or use a levelastic type product? The subfloor is tile over plywood and it is sound. I have no idea and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 07:35 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Luan would be a nightmare to fasten down in that sitiation.
Sheet vinyl would be a problem over bare tile too..
Leveling compound would shrink over the deep joints between the tile.
I've not had to deal with this problem because I always removed the tile down to the bare wood. That is exactly what I'm recommending to you also. When you want a job done right, you need to actually do it right. Remove the tile add a layer of plywood to level and sturdy the floor, sand the joints if you can detect them by touch, then use a floor leveler to cover the joints and cover the nailheads. You will come out with a good quality floor job and no worries about the tile releasing the Luan or the leveler.

Check with your supplier, the vinyl may require a certain type of underlayment to keep your warranty valid.

Welcome to the forum,
Tom

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply