DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > DIYer new to your site





Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 AM  
kdschreck
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Default DIYer new to your site

I was doing a search to learn about acquiring a tester for gas line pressure. Thankfully, I found this site along the way! I have a wall-mount propane heater to install in my basement playroom, so I am hopeful to find helpful suggestions on the site for safe and efficient installation.

KDSchreck



__________________
kdschreck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM  
glennjanie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,992
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default

Welcome KDSChreck:
Propane is best left to the man who sold it to you. Many states have strict laws on handling propane. It leaks out and is heavier than air, so it goes to a quiet corner and lays there. It won't dissipate without fan forced ventilation. Then the slightest spark, even static electricity, will cause it to explode violently. Travel trailers have been completely flattened by this. Houses have had whole walls blown out. I knew a man who had been blown across the room 3 times trying to light water heaters; lucky guy died of natrual causes a couple of years ago.
Please, PLEASE, get help on this one; your life is worth more than the $200 you would save.
Glenn



__________________
glennjanie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 PM  
ToolGuy
Senior Member
 
ToolGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 482
Default

Yep, Propane can go boom in a big way. I've been in the trades over 25 years and have rolled up my sleeves for just about every type of task, but there are some things I won't touch. Except for outdoor barbeques, propane is at the top of that list.

__________________

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

ToolGuy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 PM  
kdschreck
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Welcome KDSChreck:
Propane is best left to the man who sold it to you. Many states have strict laws on handling propane. It leaks out and is heavier than air, so it goes to a quiet corner and lays there. It won't dissipate without fan forced ventilation. Then the slightest spark, even static electricity, will cause it to explode violently. Travel trailers have been completely flattened by this. Houses have had whole walls blown out. I knew a man who had been blown across the room 3 times trying to light water heaters; lucky guy died of natrual causes a couple of years ago.
Please, PLEASE, get help on this one; your life is worth more than the $200 you would save.
Glenn
Woud you say the same for natural gas?

KDSchreck
__________________
kdschreck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 PM  
ToolGuy
Senior Member
 
ToolGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdschreck View Post
Woud you say the same for natural gas?

KDSchreck
Not necessarily. Natural gas has an added odor which is unmistakable, so you'll know if it's leaking. Propane, while it does have a distinctive odor, most people don't recognize it. Also, the odor of propane doesn't tend to propogate into the air like that of natural gas. So if the leaked propane settles to the floor (as it does), you might not smell it when standing up.

Both are highly explosive when mixed with oxygen. But with natural gas, you're far more likely to know when it's leaking.
__________________

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

ToolGuy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM  
kdschreck
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks ToolGuy.

I have successfully connected a natural gas space heater to the existing 1/2" gas line, checked all connections for leaks with soapy water solution, plus the "sniff test", and waited for 60 - 90 minutes before lighting anything back up. Everything is working fine.

In retrospect, I'm wondering if I should've tapped into the 3/4" or 1" line rather than the 1/2". I suspect I'm not getting quite enough gas to the space heater. It's about 10 linear feet of gas line away from the "T" where I connected it to the existing line, but I am still left wondering if going from 3/4" for most of that run would have been better.

KDSchreck

__________________
kdschreck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 PM  
glennjanie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,992
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default

Hello KDSchreck:
If your heater will burn a clean blue flame, it is getting enough gas and I wouldn't worry about it.
Glenn



__________________
glennjanie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a site to join and sell your junk now? wienerwater HouseRepairTalk Website Help 8 02-04-2009 07:36 PM
Site Plans for addition; Am i getting ripped off? RoninGT General Home Improvement Discussion 5 06-25-2008 02:18 PM
Tool Site help Needed Relevancy Tools 19 01-16-2008 07:26 PM