DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Front porch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 AM  
khvanar

Default Front porch

Hi, my name is Casey and I am trying to whip my house into shape before selling. After living in the house for 36 years and being relatively comfortable, I have a lot to do before I put it on the market. My target date for putting up the sign is the end of April. After that, I move to a converted carriage house will also need some work to brighten it up and make it a little less rustic. My questions today relate to a front porch ceiling. I pulled out the ceiling (which was sagging) and have the peaked roof and rafters. I want to put in a bead board ceiling (I think it is also called car siding). I need to insulate it as well. I am going to use the individual boards that lip together. Do I need to put in plastic between the insulation and the car siding. Do I need to first install 1/2inch plywood and attach the bead board to the plywood? I am trying to keep this as economical as possible, but still do a good job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Casey, and Welcome to the Fourm:
I would simply nail the bead board to the ceiling joists; no plastic, no insulation, no plywood.
Unless this porch has been enclosed and is used as living space; then you would need everything but the plywood.
Be careful about making it too nice, you won't want to leave.
Glenn

Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I second what Glenn said

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply