DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Frustrating but very rewarding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM  
Vanessa

Default Frustrating but very rewarding

Hi my name is Vanessa,
My Fiance and I are endevouring to renovate our kitchen. We have already tackled the bathroom with fairly reasonable results, we still need to finish the fiddly things off. The reason why I am joining the House repair Talk sight is to get advice on how to raise a roof by a couple of inches so it will be upto council approval. It is a slopping roof and only needs to be raised at one end.
I am not sure how this all works, but I guess I shall find out by looking around.
thanks.

Last edited by Vanessa; 02-24-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Vanessa:
You can raise the ceiling (roof) by placing a 4 X 6 along and under the rafter tails, set 3 or 4 legs (use 4 X 4s or rented basement jacks), raise the required amount, fill in along the long wall and the feathered wedge on each side, fill in the drywall (or other wall material), or use a 3" crown mould to conceal the space inside and outside.
Glenn

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hello Vanessa:

It would help alot if you would post some pictures of what you are trying to do and exactly why. Glenn was right in how to do it but will be lots of things that are going to stop you from lifting the roof that have to be addressed first. If the room is an extension of the house and only connected to the main house at the high end of the slope then your have a chance of doing this. But you still have to worry about siding. If your siding goes all the way up to the roof you have a big problem. You have to take out siding and flashing that is above the roof then replace it. How big is the roof does it have a wall in the middle supporting it? Is wiring going through the walls your raising? I could go on and on.

Last edited by guyod; 02-25-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

What those guys said. Why and some pictures.

Often, if raising a roof for exterior aesthetics only, it could be better to build a new roof on top. The ability to do that will depend on the structure below and next to the roof.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply