DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Greetings from the Eastern Shore of MD

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Manzino:
Leleling the floors is considerably different from raising the house. Tool Guy and Guyod have the correct answers, just combine them and go for it. As long as we are just leveling the floors, I don't think there would be any plaster repair needed. Floor leveling usually happens at mid span of the floor joists. Just use a 4 X 6 beam, the jacks and some concrete blocks to hold it when it is level. Under the house we don't have to worry about freeze depth; simply dig down to undisturbed earth, place a concrete block on its side (for more bearing on the dirt) then stand the blocks up to make up the rest of the distance. I would not use any wood unless it is treated and rated for ground contact.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 AM  
manzoni

Hi all

I took some more pictures of the house over the weekend. Thought I would post them. Still trying to sell my house so I can buy this one. Have 90 days to sell mine. Anyone want to buy a gorgeous cape cod on the shore? hehe

Anywhooo here are the pics of the house we are trying to buy:

Front of house

Awesome front door that we hope to refinish

Stairs going to second floor (sorry, had to take pics through the windows)

Looking inside the front door

Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 AM  
manzoni

Rear of the house (we're gonna have to demo that small room with the chimney to raise the house to put in a real foundation)

Rear of house - we are going to get rid of that little thing off the side. I dont know what used to be in there. Its empty now.

Inside the back door

Inside the furnace room

*keeping my fingers crossed that we can get this place* I think it has a lot of potential!

Quick Reply