DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > hey i need some help! :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM  
neezil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla
OK, now that I see the pics, the original post you made makes sense.

If you rotated the glass AND the metal ring, there is a good chance you dislodged the fixture from the two long screws which hold the fixture onto the hanging bar. NO PANIC. Just remove the glass from the base plate (aka "thingy") ... using your screw driver, back the two screws out a few turns to lengthen them ... replace the dead bulbs ... reattach the base plate by aligning its holes with the screws ... tighten the screws to hold the base plate onto the ceiling ... reattach the glass by rotating it 1/4 turn.

Make sense??

This is a video for Dummies ... which you are NOT.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN_7LC8j2-s
Amazing! thank you will try to do this today. I need to shut off the switches correct? ok i like how you use my terminology. . lol. .aka thingy! thanks this i s sooo awesome! this obviously is going to my new favorite hang out. im sure you will be hearing alot from me! thanks again!
Renee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM  
neezil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla
OK, now that I see the pics, the original post you made makes sense.

If you rotated the glass AND the metal ring, there is a good chance you dislodged the fixture from the two long screws which hold the fixture onto the hanging bar. NO PANIC. Just remove the glass from the base plate (aka "thingy") ... using your screw driver, back the two screws out a few turns to lengthen them ... replace the dead bulbs ... reattach the base plate by aligning its holes with the screws ... tighten the screws to hold the base plate onto the ceiling ... reattach the glass by rotating it 1/4 turn.

Make sense??

This is a video for Dummies ... which you are NOT.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN_7LC8j2-s
ok just got done watching video. .when the base plate of the fixture came undone from the ceiling I did not see the screws that attached itself to the ceiling. just a square hole and wires. . aw man, . . this is going to be a project. . what if the previous owners did a crappy quick fit and didnt have a base to attach the lights to? ok well im going to take a closer lok now that i have a good idea of what i am doing! this is fun for me. . lol. . wooohoooo (and yes when it comes to be being handy for a home i am a dummy. . lol) hahaha

Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM  
neezil

ok so i still havent taken cAre of the lights and in the mean time another light bulb has gone out. . only this time the one that went out is way taller than my ladder.. i thought maybe i could get up there if I put the ladder on the bed. sigh. . . this has been extremely difficult for me I am not even 5"1', i am afraid of heights and Unfortunately the man of the house is always working. i am very handy except when it comes to things like this. . im kind of afraid of electricuting myself. .lol. .ok i know I am a big sisssy . . either way ..i have to do this today I have no lights upstairs... .any last pointers before I do this. l( haha inact like this is a major hoge ordeal. .) ok thanks dor everyones advice. I am going to watch the video again and try this. I already know which swotch cuts off the electricity.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 393 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Hey Neezil, don't panic. I'd like to see a pic of the "square hole" if you can post it. If the base plate came off, logic tells us it was ATTACHED somehow. So, a pic of the underside of the base plate would be helpful too.

If the lights are off, you might be OK ... Not gonna get you shocked! Often poeple will shut off the breaker just to make sure. I get the sense you have no clue how to do that.

First, change the bulbs where you can manage it (where the base plates did NOT come off). That gives you some light. Obviously, you will NOT have the lights on while you are working on the other lights !!

Second, once we can see the base plate and attachment mechanism, replacing the base plates will be easy. Just remember to take off the glass cover before trying to put the base plate back up !!

Third, you need a stable ladder. If you have a lousy wooden ladder, it could scare anyone. Fiberglass or metal are your best bets.

I will send you a private message to speed this process

Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM  
neezil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415
I just put one up that looks quite a bit like yours and the glass unscrews just as you said. Not really a thread more of a bayonet mounting. One quarter turn and it’s off. Make sure you are twisting counter clockwise. I had mine on and off no problem.
hi bud thank you for your feedback i tried to turn one of the lights that were out and apparently i turned it too hard because it came detached from the ceiling. . lol. .tok me forever to screw it back in until i fifgure out what to do. then i tried to turn the other light that is out and it would not come off. .. so here I am now i have 3 lights out. .lol. . i will do it I just would like to have someone here to hold my hand. .lol. . well hold the ladder. . .while I do this . . i am pretty clumsy so I jsut dont trust myself to do this alone now that it has hecome complicated.

Quick Reply