DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Hi from DC! Anyone want free labor? :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

By trim, I assume you're referring to this stuff:

Is this something I can realistically expect to remove without damaging the siding? Is it something I can replace without digging the siding off and replacing that too?

Basically, I dont want to get too deep before I even realize it

edit: I went to look at it; and I pulled back the bottom trim a little bit where the caulking was totally trashed. I tried to get a picture, this is underneath.

The left piece of trim is the bottom sill right now. The right is whats underneath, which appears and feels like another layer of metal trim. Hmph.

Last edited by walked; 03-21-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

I would think you should be able to cut the caulking and pull a few nails, but, you never know until you start digging. If you do, start with the top one and work your way down the window.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 322 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I don’t think you have to worry about the porch being vented it’s open on the bottom and is getting all the venting it needs. The main roof is a different issue and looks to have no soffit vents, assuming all 4 sides are the same. Have you been in the attic space?

Your downstairs windows look like what’s in my house. Original double hung with sash cords and weights and then triple track storm windows on the outside. Like yours mine are pretty dated but mine are still working fine. Your upstairs windows look like modern replacement windows that were fit to the old openings and trimmed in. it does look like the caulking is in bad shape and hasn’t been kept up.

What is it about the siding you don’t like? Just the dated look of the wider spacing, the color, etc? If it’s just the color it can be painted with great results. You need to divide the projects up between structural and cosmetic and look at your budget and time frame if you want to do the work yourself. A builder with a crew look at these projects much different in terms of time than the DIYer. If cost isn’t that important and you have lots of time residing the whole house and new windows won’t be a problem. But having done both of these jobs alone on a two story house I know how fast they can wear you down. Sometimes you can change the curb appeal without making huge changes, if the stuff that’s there is doing its job.

I don’t want to discourage you from trying it all if you want to just plan it in steps and plan on it spanning out over a few years.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks! It's all insight I'm happy to hear.

Re: Siding - I know its not an urgent priority, but it does look like it's worse for wear. Uneven in spots, there's one panel that seems to have an issue with popping out (I'll get a picture in short order). And it just seems it was done as a bit of a hack job, lots of finishing details seem problematic at best. I'll get some pictures of what I'm talking about.

That said, I've been considering just having a company out to do some repair on the spots that are annoying, and just paint for now as you suggested; I think there's a lot of merit there.

Would you suggest just repairing the caulking, cleaning up, and re-painting the trim on the window that's got caulk issues? Seems like the lowest effort to results ratio, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something in the process.

I'm sure I'm overthinking a lot of this

Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

And now I'm thoroughly worried. Ugh.

For reference, I'm showing the circled part of the house, just to the right of the porch.

Here you can see, right up against the outside corner, there is a small piece of siding missing.

Closer view to follow due to picture limit.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here is a closer view, showing that behind there there is a piece of wood, thats on it's side, vertical, that has obvious water damage / rot the second image is just to highlight the profile of this board:

Next steps?

edit: In the basement, on the rim joist in that area is looks as if a new joist was sistered in, but the rotted piece is still evident from the outside. Everything seems solid inside from the basement. Seems.

Last edited by walked; 03-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

The main thing first and foremost is function and keeping rain sheading off the house as best you can. Neal’s suggestion of doing a little investigation as to what’s under it and how it was installed is a real good idea. Chances are your siding was well done but back in the day there was a craze of people wanting to take their old house and cover it in easily maintained space age aluminum or munimula spelled backwards. So there was everybody and their brother with a truck and a ladder going door to door selling it. The condition of the house below it is what’s really important, and what you need to get a feel for. Sealing up the seams for sure needs to be redone based on your pics.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Your porch is outdoor space. Why would it need to be vented?

The storm windows are typical 1970s-80s vintage. They would normally be added on and fastened that way. They will be easy to take off and not necessary when you replace the old double-hung windows.

Neal; I always the thought the point of replacement windows was so they don't interfere with the siding or require any adjustments there except for flashing. I'm curious why you think he should combine those two projects (siding & windows).

Modern ridge vents are almost invisible from the outside. You probably need to get up in the attic to take a look for those. The roof sheathing would have an opening (a slot most likely) along the very top of the ridge.

Last edited by slownsteady; 03-21-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts on the piece up front thats rotted? I think its rim joist and/or just the corner exterior finishing of such. Not sure enough to say. Still looking into it.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

That looks to me to be part of the porch framing. I agree it wasn’t sealed up to well but wouldn’t be overly worried about it. Wood turns color and that not rot. I keep an ice pick in my tool box and use it to test wood. I think I would try and close that opening off better.

The upstairs windows looked to me to be replacement also. You can tell by looking in the track top and bottom for mounting screws. The upper screws will be behind a strip that slides down most of the time. Sometimes the screws are capped with a plastic plug. After they did the windows it looks like they just wrapped the trim with aluminum and sealed it at the corners and that’s what is pulling away now.

Quick Reply