DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Hi from DC! Anyone want free labor? :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, the piece that I highlighted (outlined in the red rectangle) is back inside the house further, and it's very definitely rotted (I can poke with a finger and tell).

The upstairs is definitely replacement windows though. I agree, and I'll probably clean up / re-caulk those for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 325 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If it’s rotted then that will be a good starting point no ladders required to open things up a little and see what you have. Also in most cases the bottom edge will be one of the areas that will be in the worst shape, that and below windows on each side. Aluminum requires a little more finesse than the plastic siding getting it off.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

On the subject of overall restoration of older homes I have always tried to look at how the cost of the house and the cost of repairs factor into the overall value of the finished product in relationship to other homes in the area. I try not to overbuild or over remodel and I never factor in my labor but do add in the labor costs if I hire something done. That’s the rational way to look at it then there is the other side of the coin where you say you plan on living there for many years and don’t care where you stand compared to others you want it to some level of niceness and if you ever did have to sell it you know you might not get all your investment back. Most homes I have had I used a bit of both logics in approaching what I did.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I agree overwhelmingly; we have no interest in over-improving for the area. We're pretty mid-range so most of what we're doing is for our own enjoyment and pleasure for the time we forsee ourselves here.

For example, an entire gut and remodel wouldnt make sense; we'd never see anything close back, and it wouldnt make a world of difference.

However, fixing sagging doors, trim, siding, and bathrooms - we can shoulder a lot of the labor, and enjoy those fixes while we're here and that makes the cost worthwhile.

The insight around here has been great; thank you all.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

IIRC, and depending on your local neighborhood conditions, and not to unduly worry you, you may want to read
http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extreme-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395435619&sr=8-1&keywords=in+the+gravest+extreme+ayoob

Owning a gun is a Dominant Strategy in the Game Theory sense
http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Strategically-Competitive-Business-Paperback/dp/0393310353
but I don't know the DC gun laws.

I had an encounter with the DC Metro Transit Police and a Metro Station Manager at one time and I was not impressed as to their inclination to maintain law & order.

At my current locale a crime analysis report is available from the county and a similar tax-payer funded service may be available to you. Around here we only have thieves; robbers, with a confrontation on every job, are a whole different animal.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-21-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Your porch is outdoor space. Why would it need to be vented?

The storm windows are typical 1970s-80s vintage. They would normally be added on and fastened that way. They will be easy to take off and not necessary when you replace the old double-hung windows.

Neal; I always the thought the point of replacement windows was so they don't interfere with the siding or require any adjustments there except for flashing. I'm curious why you think he should combine those two projects (siding & windows).

Modern ridge vents are almost invisible from the outside. You probably need to get up in the attic to take a look for those. The roof sheathing would have an opening (a slot most likely) along the very top of the ridge.
In the summer time the heat gets stuck in the roof area and can't get out.
Shortens the life of the roof adds heat to the house behind it and makes the
porch anusable to sit on.
The OP suggested he was going to do both anyway, I see now that may be changing but the last time these windows were changed by these guys that just pull the sash and install new and covered everthing with trim. They never look for rot or anything and even if they find it they just cover it up as you can't make any money by fixing things.
In a house like this, if anyone cares they will find rot that need to be repaired around at least one or two windows. This can be done from the inside but the whole thing is easier from the outside. Especially if there is lath and plaster on the inside.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Long busy weekend. Updates and a new item - can you tell this house is going to be a longterm nightmare/project (depending on my mood)?!

Sewer backed up on Saturday. This was the second time in as many weeks, first time was just snaked quickly. This time we inspected with a camera.

There's a belly in the line under our front yard. Plumber suggested its probably usable as is indefinitely so long as we avoid feminine hygiene products in the future, but it would ultimately be best to replace.

So that's the current top priority that I'm working on getting bids on. Argh.

Plan to work on a flashing patch for that piece of siding in parallel but that I can do on my own over the coming week.

Also! I recaulked one of the windows as well, right before the sewer backed up. I used OSI Quad to seal, after cleaning with a dremel MultiMaster / utility knife followed by mineral spirits to clean. Seems to be holding up. I need to get better with my caulking before I tackle interior jobs! haha

Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Crap happens, sounds like you need that first. Up the street here the guy bought a brand new house and started finishing the basement all done exept the plumbing in the basement and the sewer line plugged up and the plumber opened the clean out in the basement without thinking the pipe might be full of sewer.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM  
walked

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yep; fortunately it's an unfinished basement - so only some of my gym equipment got wet.

Waiting on some bids; but expecting it to be in the $5000 - 7000 range; which wipes out the bathroom remodel budget for the time being. We'll see. More cost effective improvements will need to take place such as re-caulking all the windows, flashing the missing siding, etc.

Fun times!

Cannot wait to poop without fear of repercussions again.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

I gather you have city sewers? I redid my septic alone with rented back hoe and skid steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Quick Reply