DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Hi I'm Tomsriv

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 PM  
Tomsriv

Default Hi I'm Tomsriv

My name is Tom and I own a classic 1971 Buick Riviera, I'm not from Toms River NJ. I live in a mid-size community about an hour from Los Angeles called Camarillo. I bought a fixer-upper mobile home this year in a nice area and in a nice park. I am mechanically inclined but I still have a lot to learn about home repair.

My current project.
I need to build some siding for my awning which will protect my cars from the sun. I had lattice but the winds blew them all down this weekend. I want to build something stronger that will allow wind to pass through so I don't blow my awning over. I have seen some homes with aluminum louvers. I got quoted a price for 8' tall x 16' long at $1000! I said, "My A$$!" I think I can to build about 24' of covering out of wood for a heck of a lot less than aluminum. What do you think? We don't get much rain here so I'm not worried about dry rot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Tom:
We're glad to have you. Your shade project should be fairly easy using vertical 2 X 6s every 4' with 1/4" deep grooves cut at a 45* angle every 8" to 12". Put the bottom of the 2 X 6s in the ground and see if you can screw the tops to the awning (at a pretty strong point). Now, use 1 X 8 boards in the grooves with construction adhesive and brads in each end for your perma-shade. The grooves could be made with a router (the easiest way) or with a circular saw. Use a 'C' clamp or two to hold your Swanson Speed Square in place for a router guide. There used to be an abundance of 1 X 8, tounge and groove cedar out your way. If you could buy that by the bundle and 16' long, a bundle would go a long way.
Best wishes on your project. Please let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply