DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Hi from Newhall, CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM  
Kendra

Default Hi from Newhall, CA

Hi all!

I live up in Newhall. That’s up near Magic Mountain for anyone familiar with So. CA.

Hubby and I decided to forgo the Maui trip this year and put that money toward a kitchen remodel. This decision was made a little over 24 hours ago, so the magnitude of our decision hasn’t sunk in yet. We may come to our senses in another 24 hours and do the financially responsible thing and blow the money on a vacation rather than a remodel.

Until we come to our senses, the kitchen remodel is still on. We have a galley style kitchen. It’s approximately 20’ long by 10’ wide. Hubby measured it, so god only knows what the real measurements are. But I think that’s close.

We (when I say we, I really mean ME – hubby’s not allowed to design/decorate for good reason) have decided to reface the cabinets rather than replace, tile the floor, put in granite countertops and install recessed lighting. Just pretty basic stuff, I guess.

While we’re obviously in the beginning stages of just trying to figure out what’s what, I’ll be back with TONS of questions. Believe me, I have tons of questions now, but will hold off until we get a better idea of what we're going to do.

Kendra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Kendra:
Please just consider, with the housing market in a tumble, remodeling may not show a payoff right away. The kitchen and bath is the best place to invest for a return and, if you plan to stay there, say 10 years or so you will probably come out real well.
We wish you the very best on your project and stand ready to answer any questions you have. Once again, Welcome.
Glenn

Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 AM  
Kendra

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the welcome. Funny you should mention the payoff of any sort of remodeling in today’s market. That was sort of our reason for holding off on the kitchen remodel. And when I say “hold off” I’m only talking about two years. We bought our place in January of 2006 and have talked about remodeling the kitchen from day one, but wondered whether or not it was wise in this market. Okay, hubby was really the one wondering. I’m just cheap and didn’t want to part with the money. After much discussion, we (ME) came to the conclusion that it was important to enjoy where we live for however long we live here, regardless of whether or not we’re going to make money on our remodel investment. And thus my beloved Maui was ditched in favor of a new kitchen.

I see that we can post pictures on this site. I haven’t looked into how to post pictures just yet, but will. I’ll post some pictures of our kitchen in its current state. It’s not a horrible kitchen, it’s just not a great kitchen. The person who owned the place before us decided to paint the kitchen cabinets in what I call Silly Putty tan with cheap gold hardware. The floor is linoleum. The countertops are white tile. Lighting is, for lack of a better description, recessed florescent with cheap plastic panels covering the lighting fixture.

By this weekend I hope to get some pictures of our kitchen posted, and hopefully in the next week or so, I’ll have some questions to post. Right now we’re still in what I call the flip flop stage. For instance, I was sure I wanted recessed lighting until I saw some really cool tract lighting type fixtures tonight. Now I’m leaning toward tract type lighting. Anyway, once we’re about 99% sure what we want to do, I’ll bombard this site with questions.

Kendra

Quick Reply