DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Hi from Tennessee

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default well

Those things you think are headers are just 2x6s or a trim piece. I doubt they are structural unless they are holding up the ends of the joists at the wall ends.
What is with the brick behind the 2x4s on the wall? The walls are brick and hold the joists is my bet.
You need to find what you have there, more pics of those connections will help.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM  
scarymary

Are you saying those are fascia? Those aren't two by fours on the wall. They are furring strips. They were attached to the wall for hanging paneling when the conversion was done. Those two brick walls at one time were the exterior walls I believe of a carport. It's not that hard to understand if you first understand how people used to convert their garages or carports to living space back in the 70s. Surely this isn't new to you guys.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM  
scarymary

Bud, people around here used to convert their garages/carports to living areas all the time back in the 70s. My parents did. But their garage was drywalled all around expect where the garage door was. They just carpeted and hung that yucky dark brown paneling around the room after the remodel. It looked ok for that time era. We even had the old green/gold/brown low shag carpet in the room. It was a huge room. We had a pool table in there because my dad loved to play pool. I had a lot of fun growing up in that house.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

I can't begin to remember how many garage conversions I have done.

I was lost with the "headers" comment. I'm thinking those things are someone's idea of a decorative trim. Sorta like a poor mans crown molding. They certainly aren't headers.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM  
scarymary

What is that then in that picture with the foam green paint? Is it fascia? That would have been the exterior of the house before the previous owners converted it to a living area. If it is not some type of header, then what exactly is it? It is only covered by paint. It's not crown molding. We removed crown molding from the walls when we removed the paneling. Everything on the outside of the house used to be that foam green color until we had new gutters and fascia installed a few years ago. With all due respect, I am no home building expert, but I know enough to know that those are furring strips attached to the brick as a measure for securing the old paneling. I know that we are going to have to frame a wall at least on that side of the room. I also know that is not crown molding in the picture. I know all that looks primitive to someone who might be younger and might know all the new technology that can be utilized in building today, but I'm sure when whomever owned the home before we did, most likely didn't have access to all of the fancy stuff and knowledge that builders have today.

Last edited by scarymary; 04-18-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM  
scarymary

Bud, you will be happy to hear that my husband and I have decided to follow your suggestion of building the wall first, then raising and shimming into place. He removed all the furring strips from the long wall last week. I am wondering if we should remove that board that was being used as some type of fascia or molding before doing so. I don't believe it is actually serving any kind of structural purpose. But I do have a question to ask about something else..........we have an attic door that is exposed that I would somehow like to conceal from the rest of the room. Would framing some type of small interior soffit be an option? Here is a picture:

sdc10318.jpg

sdc10319.jpg

Last edited by scarymary; 05-03-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 AM  
scarymary

I have uploaded pictures of the ongoing progress in an album here on the forum.

Quick Reply